23. Fraternising With the Enemy

Their time together had blissfully come to an end as the day came to a close. Hermione had told her secretary to cancel her appointments for the rest of the day; she wanted to take every moment she possibly could to reconnect with Draco.

She sat, cross legged with Draco's head in her lap. She was outlining his perfect features with her fingers, wanting to memorise every single detail. But, as the day came to an end, Draco raised his wand lazily and slowly began to restore her beautiful jungle paradise back into an office.

Sighing, she looked down at him, he was already staring intently at her. "Does it have to be over? I don't want this to end."

Draco gently sat up and turned around to face Hermione, "Don't worry my love, this is only the beginning."

As they lent in for one final kiss, they were interrupted by a loud knock at the door, followed by the sound of a small scuffle.

As Draco scowled at interruption, Hermione got up to open it and Harry and Ron came tumbling in.

"Hermione!" Ron smiled widely, "we were just checking to make sure you hadn't killed each other."

Draco walked over to Hermione and laced his fingers through hers, glowing with happiness. She smiled up at him, "No, definitely not."

He smiled widely back and lent down to kiss her on the forehead. Harry and Ron groaned.

"Look guys," Harry started, trying to look anywhere other than the two of them, "I'm really happy for you. Honest. But can that not happen in front of us? I'm not quite used to the idea of Hermione and Malfoy."

Ron nodded his head vigorously in agreement as Draco muttered smoothly to Hermione, "We'll finish that later."

Hermione laughed, her face now blushing a deep shade of red, as Ron turned away and made a sound of him being sick.

"Harry," Draco said, nervously, his hand holding on to the back of his head, "Can I speak to you for a moment?"

"Uhh yeah, sure Malf- Draco." He replied, before glancing anxiously at Ron.

Ron and Hermione walked out of the room, giving the men privacy.

Draco shifted on his feet nervously. He never would have thought he would be happily standing in a room with Harry Potter. But he also never thought he would have Hermione back in his arms.

"Harry I just wanted to say thank you."

This took Harry by surprise, furrowing his brow in confusion he replied, "Uh, yeah, it's okay Draco. You're welcome."

"No really, Harry thank you. If it wasn't for your help, I would have never had the chance to apologise to Hermione."

Harry looked at Draco, still shocked by his thanks. The cruel, arrogant person Harry had grown up with seemed to have vanished right before his eyes. Left now was a man that had lost the one thing most important to him, and then fought hard to get it back.

Harry sighed and forced a smile to his face. Even though Draco was being civil, he was still unsure. "Really, Draco, it's alright. I did it mostly for Hermione anyway."

"I couldn't be more grateful." Draco said, meeting Harry's gaze and returning his smile. He held out his hand cautiously to Harry, offering a truce.

After a moment of hesitation, Harry took his hand and shook it before Draco smirked "Doesn't mean we're friends though."

Harry scoffed happily, "Definitely not."

****

Hermione paced the floor outside her office door nervously, Ron still a slight shade of green from seeing his best friend being kissed by his worst enemy.

Suddenly, the doors swung open and Harry and Draco sauntered out, laughing at something Harry had just said. Hermione looked up at Draco expectantly as he wove his fingers back into hers. "Everything alright?" She asked nervously.

"Yeah," Harry answered, before Draco got the chance, "just establishing boundaries."

He threw a playful glance at Draco and he replied, laughing "Potter was just reminding me that, just because you defected to the dark side, doesn't mean he's going to start fraternising with the enemy."

Hermione looked at both of them in awe, watching for the first time Harry and Draco almost getting along. Draco interrupted her thoughts however, by picking her up bridal style and walking down the corridor. Before he got out of earshot of the two men, Draco said, just loud enough for them to hear, "let's go Hermione, we have a lot of fraternizing to do."

"STOP." Ron and Harry yelled at them in disgust as Draco continued to carry them her away, laughing and staring into the eyes of the love of his life.