Chapter 22

"Yoohyeon!" She instantly screams and dashes for them as they give no indication of having heard her.

When she reaches the door and runs out onto the fire escape stairs, they are already several levels below. Paying no caution to danger, she crawls over the railings and drops to the next level, bruised hands catching the railing there. She does the same, dropping and catching. When she does it again, Siyeon comes face to face with the men hustling Yoohyeon. She appears to be semi-conscious, her head drooping as her hair covers her face.

Anger flares so suddenly through her that she pulls herself up to jump onto the floor in front of them and swings a weak punch for one of them.

He easily blocks it and shoves her against the railing, an arm against her throat. He grins and slaps her. Using her disorientation to his advantage, he pushes her over the balcony edge and she plummets several metres to the ground, landing on her back with a whoosh of air escaping from her mouth.

As she lies winded, the men sprint past.

One of them stops, fixing her with a malicious stare as he takes out a knife. "You meddling bitch." He says and shoves the blade down towards her.

She holds his wrist with shaking hands to stop him as the tip catches in her t-shirt material.

"Fuck off!" Siyeon growls fiercely as she fights him and the blade starts to dig into her skin. Desperately, when she realises she can't win the fight of strength, Siyeon thrusts her knee up into his groin and rolls away when he reacts predictably.

He falls and she clambers on top of him with weak strength and starts to strike him in the face repeatedly until he's just a bloody, unconscious person beneath her broken body.

By the time she looks up, the other men are gone, only leaving displaced gravel from their van.

Siyeon falls back onto her side and lies there, no longer able to move with the pain paralysing her body.

"Siyeon!" A voice calls in teary concern.

She groans, unable to do much more. "SuA."

Feet run over to her and SuA crouches over. "Oh my God, are you okay?"

Siyeon frowns as the pain reaches a new height and her hand reaches out to grasp SuA's hoodie. "Call the driver." She murmurs. "We need to get out of here."

SuA's eyes rove over her in concern and her eyes water. Following Siyeon's instructions shakily, she takes out her phone to call their driver, explaining the situation with much stuttering.

"I'm coming now." He says on speaker. "I'll bring the emergency crew with me to treat Siyeon and come right to your location." He hangs up and SuA kneels beside Siyeon.

"What happened?" She asks as her hand clenches one of Siyeon's hand, sticky with blood.

"They pushed me off the fire escape." She moans and breathes rapidly to try and control the pain pulsing through her bones.

SuA turns to look back at the warehouse then looks at the bloodied man next to them. She checks his pulse. "The guy's dead."

"He tried to kill me." Siyeon explains weakly. "Can you just...talk to me? I'm really struggling to, form...a sentence."

"Earlier when we separated, I ran into a room full of people." She says, her mouth a grim line. "I just ran straight back out and ran along another corridor and up some stairs. I can't really remember what happened to be honest."

She chats idly away, moving onto more mundane topics to distract Siyeon as her thumb moves in circles on the back of her hand.

A green van pulls up next to them and three people step out of the back. They're all dressed the same in red outfits and between them they hold a foldable stretcher.