Chapter 30

Yongbok gets ready for work, putting on a navy pin-striped suit jacket. He then looks in the mirror to check how his hair looks.

Perfect.

He nods in satisfaction and moves on to straighten his tie, checking that the smaller part is tucked behind. Once that's done, he heads into the kitchen to have his breakfast, taking a bowl from the microwave after it dings.

The smell of porridge greets his nostrils as the surface of it bubbles and his tummy rumbles hungrily. He smiles and sets the bowl down on the table,  positioned in front of a window.

Yongbok likes to watch out of the window as he eats, observing his neighbours in their natural habitats. He can already see the parent from next door tiredly walking his child off down the road to school.

"Ow!" Yongbok winces as he sips at the hot porridge on his spoon, too hot to even consider eating it. With a patient sigh, he blows at the porridge on his spoon to cool it and finally eats it.

All is normal. He'll be heading to work shortly, where he'll attend the weekly board meeting with the other heads of sections.

"Ah, Dami." He huffs as he thinks and takes another bite of the hot porridge. "You were a very good leader. We're much paler replacements of you."

It was new to him, that the heads of the different sections of assassins were now in charge. It had been like that for four months now, but they keep running into new problems, such as budgeting and other things that Dami had previously handled without knowledge of anyone else.

His doorbell rings and Yongbok is startled from his thoughts. Setting the spoon down on the table mat, he stands and walks to the door.

"Who is it?" He asks, not yet opening the door.

"Post." They say calmly. "This parcel's too big to go through the letterbox."

That stops Yongbok. "I haven't ordered anything." He tells himself.

"Could you open the door please, sir?" She asks gently.

"Are you sure it's my parcel? I haven't ordered anything."

"It says here that it's a gift from someone who has sent it to you." He can sense the woman shrugging.

"Okay." He opens the door, ready to tell her that it was the wrong address, stopping abruptly when he sees the gun pointing at him. "What...?"

The woman grins and takes her low-pulled cap off, letting her hair drop.

"Handong?" He questions, recognising her as he raises his hands cautiously.

"The very person." She grins and fires the gun.

He doesn't have the chance to react, the bullet exiting the chamber with a weak bang and passing straight through his skull.

Yongbok's body flops backwards onto the floor and skids a little from the momentum of the bullet hitting him. He's dead and Handong nods.

She steps into his flat, walking past his body and starts to search through his study for anything useful to her.

Once she finds all she can, she leaves.

***

"Where are we heading?" JiU asks Siyeon as she drives. "I know rough details, but..."

"Lee Yongbok's home." She replies shortly and her expression twists sadly.

"What exactly is going on? It's not nice being in the dark." JiU continues to stare ahead at the road and Siyeon leans back in her seat to watch the rain travel across the window in unsteady streaks.

"He's been assassinated."

"What?" She exclaims. "That's why we're going to his flat? What are we going to do?"

"Some detective work." She replies. "His body was discovered by one of our company, who came over after they were concerned that he didn't turn up to the board meeting. The other heads have made sure the police won't interfere and we have a team from a private mortuary turning up."

"Will there be people there when we turn up?"

"Yup. The Forensics department we have at the company."

"We have a Forensics department?"

"You would be surprised at the amount of different departments we had, but Dami wanted to cover every possible situation. We're just there to see if we can make anything of it and make a report for the heads."

JiU slows to turn into a car park and parks in the first empty space.

Both of them zip their raincoats up to their chin and put their hoods up before stepping out into the downpour, both staggering as the wind beats them.

JiU links her arm through Siyeon's and they make their way to Yongbok's flat.

When they get outside of the front door, only the leader of Forensics, Mingi, is left.

"Afternoon." He greets breezily and nods his head.

"Good afternoon, sir." Siyeon smiles tightly. "What can you tell us?"

"Mr Lee was killed with one shot through the forehead that lodged in the back of his skull. It wasn't a snipe shot as the bullet didn't have enough velocity to completely pass through his head. His porridge is half-eaten, so he must have been answering the door. Do you want to take a look at the body?"

"Sure." Siyeon accepts and they follow him to the plastic sheeting draped over a human-shaped form on the floor. From beneath, splatters of blood peek out.

He leans down to draw the sheet back and a moment of revulsion passes through Siyeon as she sees his body.

She had seen bodies many times - People she had killed, people other assassins had killed. But seeing someone she knew, dead, is something completely different that moves an emotion alike to sadness through her and her eyes prick with tears.

From her glance at JiU, she knows that she feels the same way.

"Poor man." She says finally. "It's clearly an assassination. This crime is too clean for a petty murder. Do we know anything else yet, such as who may have ordered his murder?"

"Not as of yet." He frowns.

"Can I touch the body?" JiU asks suddenly.

"Er, sure." He hands her a pair of gloves and she puts them on as she crouches and puts her hand inside Yongbok's jacket.

"There's something here." She reports and takes a black envelope out from the jacket.

"Oh?" Mingi utters. "Can you open it?"

He and Siyeon watch as she slips her finger under the flap and opens it, pulling out a similarly black card that seems blank until halfway through pulling it out and seeing the silver writing.

When she fully pulls it out, a huff escapes Siyeon's lips. "Fucking Handong."

Embossed on the paper is a print of Handong's name in flowing, spiky writing.

"Handong?" Mingi questions.

She waves his question away. "It's something the heads of department are looking into."

"So that's the likely culprit. We haven't found anything else of interest. I'm staying here until the mortuary guys turn up."

"We'll just look around." Siyeon says. "We'll need to check for anything else suspicious."

JiU turns to Siyeon as they walk further into the flat. "What is Handong doing? How did she even know about Yongbok as well?"

Siyeon shrugs. "Your guess is as good as mine."

A/N:

I think it's been about five weeks since I left my house lol 
Not much has happened and I feel a little restless haha so my sister and I have been playing old games from the 2000s like Lego Racers and Diner Dash to pass time

Hope you all have a nice day and stay safe.