Chapter 40

"I-is she going to live?"

"Will she ever wake up?"

"Do you think she'll recognise me?"

"I can't bear to live without her."

Nature is boundless around her as she stays floating gently downwards in the blue sky padded with thick, fluffy clouds. She soon lands gently on an invisible surface, solid and cold like glass. In love with the exhilarating feeling of falling, she wills to fall through the barrier.

Answering her silent command, her body drops through, hurtling towards nothing as her eyes close and she listens to the wind rustling past her. A small smile finds its way to her lips.

"Siyeon!" An unfamiliar voice cries with such pain and loudness that Siyeon winces and clasps her skull tightly in an effort to staunch the echoing sound.

Whose voice is that?

Twisting and tumbling through the air now, her eyes dart around the blue sky for answers, seeing nothing different,

"Wake up!" The same voice screams, sounding as if she was crying.

Siyeon forces her arms out and uses her willpower to completely stop her descent as she turns to frown at the sky. "Who are you?" She questions, expression changing into shock as she realises something. "This isn't real."

As the words leave her mouth lightning flashes across the suddenly bleak sky now filled with dark, chaotic greys and blacks. Thunder rumbles in her ears, causing fear to strike through her as the paradise she so desires disappears.

Hands reaching out with force, Siyeon instructs the skies to return to the previous idyllic blue. But to no avail.

As she loses her grip on the world, Siyeon starts to plummet again, this time hurtling towards the foreboding dark sea at a dangerous speed.

Lightning flashes and seems to strike her, her chest arhing with the strike as her heart stills.

"Breathe! You can't die, Siyeon!" Her desperation only causes more panic in her stalled heart as the sea comes closer.

Again, lightning strikes, this time seeming to stimulate her heart as Siyeon gasps with the breath she doesn't realise she is holding.

Her frail body plunges into the depths.

Siyeon wakes with a small gasp and wide eyes as she stares blankly at the faces overlooking hers, seeming to smile with joy.

Were they happy for her?

"You're awake!" The familiar voice from her dreams squeals in ecstasy and she turns her pounding head tiredly to look at the recognisable woman, whose neck was encased in thick bandages.

"SuA." She smiles weakly and reaches a bandaged hand for her, which she gently holds in her small hands almost reverently.

"You died for two minutes." SuA says in a faint tone as she looks up at the nurses "Thank you all so much!"

"It's only our job." One replies before addressing Siyeon. "Right, Siyeon. We're just going to run some tests on you, check you're functioning properly."

She nods and returns her gaze to SuA, an unintentional smile taking her lips. "I missed you."

Despite her gladness at seeing SuA, Siyeon is hopelessly disorientated. She has no idea how long she's been asleep, how much time has passed, what has happened.

***

"I...have so many fucking questions." Siyeon starts once the nurses leave them alone.

SuA chuckles. "I bet you do." Her hand still holds Siyeon's and she leans against her bed, eager to be close. "Where do you want me to start?"