Chapter 39

Siyeon rips the goggles off and sprints straight for where she thought Matthew was through the smoke and draws her knife. He smacks JiU with a fist and she stumbles back, holding her face with a groan.

Matthew turns to leer at Siyeon.

"Finally figured it out, bitch? You're too late."

"Bastard." Not giving him time to react, she plunges the knife into the gap between his body armour and throat. His expression freezes and she shoves him away in disgust.

Once he falls, Siyeon collapses to her hands and knees and she sobs emptily. "SuA!" She can't help but assume the worst.

"Siyeon..." JiU puts her arm around her and takes her into the shadows to get out of immediate danger. Despite that, there's been a turn in events and it seems they are the ones winning.

"She can't be alive." Her eyes dart out towards the vulnerable form alone on the ground, struggling not to rush to her irrationally.

"She can be." JiU rubs her shoulder. "She's a strong wench, isn't she? You keep on going and I know you'll both make it." She whispers each word, voice nasal from the dried blood clogging her nostrils. Siyeon leans tiredly into her.

"How come you always look so miserable?" SuA giggles mischievously.

"It's called a resting bitch face, bitch." Siyeon jokes back with a scowl and pushes her away.

SuA playfully screams and pretends to slip off the step they're sitting on together.

"Stop that." Siyeon laughs.

"But I'm being serious here." SuA suddenly fixes her with a deadly earnest face. "You don't look like you're enjoying life."

"Life is hard. I don't have to smile all the time." She replies with a shrug. "We all have bad and good days."

"But I never know what you're thinking even when you're having a good day. You just give me that...face. Look, you're doing it right now!"

Siyeon hastily rearranges her deadpan expression and grins tightly. "I was not."

But she had been. That expression she wears when she protects her emotions from others seeing them, to hide her weaknesses and not let others know her thoughts. It is instinctive for her. But doesn't everyone do that? When she looks around, others don't wear the same impassive mask.

"You know you're speaking bullshit." SuA grins at her comfortably. "Why do you do it?"

"To hide what I'm thinking. I don't want other people to know."

"Fair." She accepts. "But it makes me feel like I'm boring you sometimes."

"You're not! I mean...sometimes you are, but--"

"You're too honest despite the fact you're hiding your emotions all the time." SuA snorts and embraces her. "You're an odd girl."

"So are you." Siyeon retorts.

"But I like it. Which is why I like you. Everything about you is just...I love you." She buries her face in Siyeon's neck, squeezing her tightly.

"I love you too." Siyeon confesses in a small voice, the truth hard to say. Small things like that are hard for her to say but it's worth it once she gets it out of her mouth.

"I'll love you forever."

"You've got to kill Handong. We'll take care of SuA." JiU says as Siyeon blinks back into the present.