3

The doorbell chimed loudly and the sound ricocheted off the walls of the numerous hallways. I glanced up at the clock. 3:46pm. The intercom beeped and one of the cleaners we had in the house spoke up.

"Hello Miss, there is someone here to see you. Should I open the gates?"

I sighed loudly, was it one of my father's clients here to ask me for another babysitting favor?

I trudged down the steps and was met with an unexpected surprise.

Grey eyes and dark brown hair. Slim but not skinny nor muscular. He had his hands shoved into his jean pocket and a black hoodie on. I activated the intercom.

"Yes, let him in. He uh-" I wrecked my brain for a suitable believable excuse.  "-was in the same class as me."

I could tell from the incredulous okay miss she sent my way that she suspected something. That was not surprising. The academy I graduated from was prestigious. Only the rich could afford to attend classes there. The boys were well dressed and well mannered. They rarely got out of the house without an iron pressed suit. The boy waiting outside the house looked nothing like.

The gates opened and he walked in. I had to admit though, he had the confidence he needed to pull the whole classmate act off.

"Hey-" He started.

I grabbed his arm and dragged him up the stairs into my bedroom. I dismissed another cleaner from my bedroom. She retreated down the steps into the kitchen.

I shut the door as tightly as I could and locked the door for extra measure.

"I'm here to negotiate."

"Negotiate?" I scoffed.

He stood up abruptly and went to the door, all ready to exit.

"Okay fine. What are your terms?"

"Your father owns an apartment building down on fifth avenue."

"Yes. He wants to demolish the building to construct a mall."

"And I want the apartment building to stay."

"How do I do that?"

"You're daddy's little girl. You figure that out yourself." He rolled his eyes. "You make sure the building stays, that I don't get found out, I take you with me on my daily hunts." He rolled his eyes at this.

"Deal." I stuck my hand out and his calloused hand slipped into mine naturally.

"One question though, that apartment you speak of, it's expensive. How'd you afford it?"

"I won it from a bet."

I nodded with pursed lips. Skilled indeed. He looked around my room presumably for a place to sit. I pointed to the couch at the other end of the room.

Awkward silence ensued for the next two minutes or so.

"I'm Keenan. Keenan Drew."

"Holland Evans."

"So...how is this going to work?"

"I have zero clue." I sighed, answering honestly. For the first time in my life, nothing was planned. Nothing was secure anymore. There was nothing concrete, there was no plan.

"Tell you what. Meet me again at the pier tomorrow. And do me a favor, think again about the deal you're making."

I rolled me eyes, was I that much of a liability?

"I'll see you soon, Keenan."

He once again walked toward the door, not giving me a second glance.

Rude.

++++++

"I've changed my mind." I announced as Keenan neared.

"What? We had a deal."

"This one is even better. Instead of bringing me along on your escapades, come with me on mine." I smiled.

"This is even more absurd. Nothing is adding up. Pardon me for being skeptical, but you're saying that you're bringing me along for your adventures?"

"Yes, all expenses covered." I nodded. Last night, I looked through my bank accounts and realized I had way more than I'd expected. Despite my family being rich, I had always been more on the frugal side, saving more than half of my allowance since elementary school. Now I had quite a bit I could spend.

"It doesn't make any sense, really. If that's the case, your family could go with you. You don't need a thief on your adventures. You could just go hire someone to do them with you or something."

"They don't know how to have fun, they'd just make everything dull and boring. The people around me are so uptight, so focused on the unimportant things in life that no one lives in the moment."

"Okay, you know what? Fine, since this is what you want, sure. It's easier than me having to bring you around thieving anyway."

I grinned.

He laughed and I knew then that I needed a Keenan Drew in my life.