the errand he ran

Using his 'Holland's classmate' persona, he manages to lie his way past security. Keenan notices that the family had upped their security ever since his break in. They asked for both his identity card and called through to the house intercom.

He knocks on the large doors. Memories of how he first met Holland Evans floods back into his mind. He smiles faintly, remembering how it all started. 

"Where is your re-enrolment receipt?" Is the first thing that the man before him asks the minute he opens the door. He recognizes the man from dozens of advertisements, commercials and magazines. Top 50 richest men in the state. Keenan is surprised, shocked even, by Mr Evan's reaction, but he does not give Holland's father the satisfaction.

"Sir." He greets politely. After all, he wants to make a fine impression of himself. Holland's father does not respond but stares at him.

"Who are you?" He says to Keenan.

"I'm uh, Holland's friend."

"Where is my daughter?"

"Uh, well-"

"I want you to tell her that she is not welcomed home if she does not get the receipt back from the university. She can dream of being here again."

Mr Evans begins to shut the door on Keenan when Keenan jams his foot roughly between the gap that remained. It stung a little, but did its job.

"What do you think you are doing?" He said lowly and gruffly. Keenan is sure that no one has ever challenged him, nor stuck their foot in between his door.

Keenan decides to cut to the chase.

"Do you love Holland?"

Mr Evan's jaw drops.

"Excuse me?"

"Do you love Holland, your daughter? Or do you love Holland, the scholar, the hot shot lawyer to be, the heiress of your empire?"

Mr Evans is speechless.

"I-"

"I just came to tell you, time is precious. I hope you don't have to lose anybody before you realize that. I gave Holland my word about something, and I intend to keep it. You're a smart man, Mr Evans. I hope you figure out what is happening and change the way you do things. Holland will be home tomorrow, I guarantee you I'll bring her back safely."

Keenan turns to walk away when Mr Evans exhales.

"I just want the best for her. I just want the best education for her, the best career, the best life."

"But you forget, Mr Evans, with all due respect, she needs her family too. Not just the-" Keenan makes an exaggerated hand gesture at whatever future plans Mr Evans had for Holland.

"I love her, she's my daughter, before anything else." He says softly.

"I know. I know."

Keenan smiles and extends his hand.

"It's nice meeting you, Mr Evans."

"Who are you, really?"

It is Keenan's turn to exhale.

"I stole from you, the other night. I am the thief." Keenan reaches into the bagpack slung across his shoulder and hands the stolen jewelry back to Mr Evans.

"What?"

"You heard me. You can report me, I won't hold it against you. I'm Keenan Drew and I live in the apartment building you own on fifth-"

"I won't. Just please..."

"I'll get her home safely. I promise, sir."

Mr Evans nods.

The door closes and Keenan leaves, not knowing that the next encounter they will have will carry news that will ruin him.