13

"Because of you, I got a chance to fly first class like what, three times." Keenan said suddenly, pulling me from my thoughts.

"Oh, it's fine. You're my designated adventure buddy anyway." I brushed it off before closing my eyes again.

"You don't actually want to be a lawyer, do you?"

I opened my eyes slowly, wondering what had caused the sudden change in topic.

"Well, there is financial stability printed in bold on that option." I reasoned.

"It's a yes or no question."

"No, I'd rather own a small restaurant, actually. I don't know the first thing about cooking, but I do enjoy business. I think I'd enjoy running a business, you know, making it into a chain one day. That would've been my ideal life."

"That does sound nice."

"What about you? What would you have wanted to be if you weren't a thief?" I whispered the last part.

"Maybe a pianist? I've always enjoyed listening to other people play the piano, I wish I'd the chance to."

I decided not to mention that I had a grade 8 piano certificate. I hated playing the piano though.

"Do you actually steal enough to get by?"

"Yeah, I mean, I usually manage to steal valuables. But I sell them little by little so it doesn't get too suspicious."

"So you have lots of stolen items stashed in your house but very little cash on hand?"

"Yeah, well. Something like that. Let's just say I have enough to live comfortably."

"Nice." I drawled. "So, why do you keep stealing then?"

He kept silent. I quickly changed my question.

"What is one thing no one knows about you?"

There was a period of hesitation before he finally answered.

"Uh...I was-"

"Passengers, please put on your seat belts, we will be experiencing some turbulence due to strong winds. Please refrain from going to the lavatory. Thank you." The seatbelt light switched on and the lights in the plane dimmed.

"Fuck," Keenan squeezed his eyes shut and even I felt my heart lurch when the plane dipped.

"Don't worry, this happens pretty often." I waved a nearby air stewardess over.

"Hello miss, what can I get you?"

"An apple juice for the both of us, thank you." She smiled and nodded before making her way to the food cart in the front, returning with two glasses of juice. I thanked her before passing one glass to Keenan.

"Here you go, don't worry, it'll be over in a jiffy." I whispered. He did not respond.

"Hey," I shook his shoulders, only to realise he had fallen asleep.

I chuckled and placed the drinks in the cup holders.

"Sleepyhead." I murmured as I laid my head on his shoulder. Soon after, I fell asleep too.

++++++

"Hey, Holland. We're here." I opened my eyes to see that the plane was almost empty. The last few passengers had disembarked, leaving Keenan and I the second to last passengers. I yawned and stood up, stretching my arms above my head. Keenan retrieved the small suitcase from the overhead compartment and adjusted his own backpack on his shoulders.