15

I realised how important it was that I heed Keenan's advice in future when the sunlight filtered through the open blinds. 

I groaned as I squeezed my eyes closed tighter. The blinds in my house were automatic, the sensor senses my breathing patterns and adjusted the blinds accordingly. Finally, after not being able to deal with the sunlight anymore, I jumped out of bed, cursing at the sun. I stomped over to the window and peeked out.

"Oh! It's snowing." I marvelled at the pretty snowflakes that were falling from the sky. I pulled up the blinds and opened the window, feeling the gust of cold wind rushing into the room. I poked my head out of the window and looked down. It must have snowed throughout the night because the white powder had already carpeted the pavements. 

"Keenan!" I yelled and he came shuffling into the room.

"Huh?" He rubbed his eyes.

"Look! It's snowing!"

He looked out of the window and smiled.

"You know what this calls for?"

I frowned.

"Staying home?"

"What? No!"

"Then?"

"Snowball fight!" A wicked grin formed on Keenan's face as he rushed toward his closet. Pulling a thick grey coat and a beanie, he opened the door and gestured for my to hurry up. 

"I don't have any winter clothes."

"Pick a coat from my closet."

I picked a black winter coat and maroon coloured beanie and made my way to the door. I stopped when I saw a plastic sled. Grabbing the plastic sled, I pulled on a pair of gloves Keenan held out to me and stepped out of the house.

"Let's go!" Keenan bounded down the stairs because apparently waiting for the lift was too time consuming. I followed happily after before he stopped suddenly. I bumped into his back and swore at him.

"Have you never had a snowball fight?" He turned around incredulously.

"Um, well. No." 

"God, Holland!" He rolled his eyes and tugged me along again. 

By the time we reached the ground floor, I was panting like crazy. 

"Come on, let's go to the slope." We walked out and followed the pathway that lined the perimeter of the compound leading to the slope.

I ran forward, eager to sled down the steep gradient when I felt a light thump on my back. I spun around just in time to see another mass of white hurling my way. I ducked just in time.

"You little..." 

"Whoa whoa whoa!" He widened his eyes at me before collapsing in a fit of laughter as my 'snowball' burst into millions of little pieces of snowflakes. 

"Not packed enough." Keenan said as he walked toward me. I scooped up another handful of snow. He reached out and took my hands, guiding them to form a circle. He squeezed them, packing the snow together firmly. I let go slowly and the mass felt solid enough to be thrown. I smirked before I pulled my hands back and flung it at Keenan. 

He was stunned.

"Oh, baby. It's game on." He smirked.

I ducked as he flung a handful of tightly packed snow in my direction. Squealing, I flicked snowflakes up at him which he expertly evaded. I hid behind the white powder covered bushes, waiting to ambush him when he neared. 

"Hello." 

I yelped as his hands snaked around my waist and started tickling me. 

"Stop." I wheezed as I tried and failed to squirm away from him. The both of us collapsed tiredly onto the soft ground, sighing in contentment.

"I told you it's the small things that make people happy."

"Yes, maybe this was all I needed." I said softly as I spread my arms and leg wide to make a snow angel. I looked over at him. Snowflakes were falling gently on his eyes, nose and lips. His eyes were closed, not giving me a view of his grey eyes. His beanie looked even cuter on him and I touched my heart.

Why the absolute fuck was it beating so damn quickly? I rolled back over to face the sky and squinted as a snowflake landed in my eye. I smiled. 

I guess this was life. 

"Oh my, I got it! Let's go on a short road trip." I jumped to my feet, dragging him up with me.

"Huh, when it's snowing?"

I nodded enthusiastically. 

"You only live once."

"You only die once." He mumbled before sighing. "Sure, alright. But on one condition-"

"Another one?" I sighed as I recalled the one I still owed him at the airport.

"Well, lucky for you. They are the same."

"Fine. What is it?"

"You have to go home and tell your parents about your condition. I want you to spend more time with them."

"Why are you so bothered by it?" I asked irritably.

"I know how it feels like to lose someone you know you could have spent more time with...and I don't want anyone to ever feel that way again. Your parents won't be able to cope with the guilt knowing that they could have spent more time with you."

"Fuck Keenan. Why'd you have to be so goddamned annoying to guilt trip me like this?" I rubbed my eyes as guilt weighed in my heart.

"I'm just doing what I'm best at." He smirked.

"Alright, I agree to your stupid term. I'll go back home after our road trip. Does that satisfy you, sire?"

"Yes, my queen. Let's make our way back to my humble abode to pack your things."

We made our way back to the apartment and I almost sighed in relief at the heat. I was freezing. I  shoved all my clothes back into the suitcase and zipped it up, waiting by the door for Keenan before I realised the massive issue I was facing. He was still in the midst of shoving his thick blankets into a duffel bag. 

"Hey, Keenan. Could I borrow your jacket and beanie and socks for this road trip? All the clothes in my bag are summer clothes." I grimaced.

"You are one hell of a burden." He rolled his eyes but tossed me a few pairs of winter socks. "The jacket and beanie you're wearing now fits you, don't they?"

"Yep."

"Alright, you can have them."

"Thank you, kind sire." 

"Where's my sled?" He looked around the living room before squinting down at me.

"Oops." I winced. I'd left the sled at the slope.

"We didn't even manage to sled." He realised. 

Three minutes later, we were standing in the parking lots in the compound. 

"You don't have a car?" I asked incredulously.

"I never said I had one." He retorted.

"Well-"

"And to make things clear, you didn't give me a chance to explain myself before you dragged us down here."

I sighed. How would we go on a road trip without a car?"

I should've known something was up when a slow and evil grin spread across his face.

"Mrs Drew plays tennis at this time of the week right..." He turned and pointed to the country club on the map hung on the pillars. ", here."