17

"Believe it or not, I've only ever almost been to the zoo."

"Hold up. One, what do you mean you've almost been to the zoo? And, two. Do you mean to say that you've never been to the zoo?"

"Well, it rained that day my preschool organised the trip to the zoo."

"We are going to the zoo now."

The GPS in the car had been disabled and switched off courtesy of Keenan. "It can be tracked." He had claimed.

Because I had no phone, since I'd broken mine in Dubai and well, Keenan never bothered to purchase one, we had no choice but to lay out a huge road map across the bonnet of the car as we scratched our heads and figured our life out.

"What the fuck does this mean?"

"It literally says 'petrol' in the index."

"Oh."

Finally, we found our state zoo amidst the numerous petrol and rest stops sign.

"Finally." We groaned simultaneously as Keenan's stomach grumbled.

"I'm hungry."

"Alright. Let's get food from the drive thru before heading to the zoo."

"Sounds like a plan."

"Okay, now all you need to do is snap your fingers and you'll look exactly like Dora." I rolled my eyes.

He snapped his fingers and smiled a dorky smile. I facepalmed.

++++++

I pressed my nose against the penguin glass enclosure.

"Oh my god! Look at their tiny feet! They're so cute!" I squealed like a five year old on Christmas morning.

"Are penguins now your favourite animals?"

"Uh, I still prefer dolphins." I said. "But penguins definitely come second."

Keenan chuckled as he took another bite out of his MacDonald burger. I fished a fry out of the paper bag discreetly, stealing nervous glances at the park ranger not far from us.

"Keenan, subtle much?" I smacked his arm as he choked on his Coke.

"Oops."

I rolled my eyes as we headed off toward the reptile enclosure. The dark enclosures added a spooky feel to the whole experience and goose bumps rose on the back of my neck.

"Ooh! Look, there's an exhibition over there." I pointed to the brightly lit room to the side. Grabbing Keenan's cold hands, I bounced into the room, eager to see what awaited.

"Hello there, would you like to get a picture with Mr Blake?"

"No." Keenan said the same time I nodded enthusiastically.

"Who knew Keenan was afraid of snakes?" I scoffed as I took the harmless white snake into my arms, allowing it to slither and coil around my arm. Keenan swallowed and shook his head breathlessly. I could hear the animal keeper snicker.

"That's alright, mate. Mr Blake won't bite. Just give him a try, yeah?" The snake keeper beckoned Keenan over with his slight Australian accent.

Keenan's face turned sheet white as he eyed the reptile.

"I'll pass."

I glared at Keenan until he looked like he was close to tears.

"Fine." He squeaked as he shuffled closer to me.

"Come on." I grunted as I used my free hand to pull Keenan's shirt, yanking him toward me.

He yelped as the snake's tongue made its appearance.

"Look at the camera!"

The camera shutter clicked as the snake edged toward Keenan.

I took the polaroid and laughed as I saw my evil grin and Keenan's grimace.

"I look like shit." He grumbled as he snatched the picture from my hand.

"You are shit." I retorted as I grabbed it back.

"Whatever."

"Thank you!" I said to the rangers as I walked out of the room, satisfied with our trip to the zoo.

"Dear visitors, our attractions would be closed in half an hours time. Kindly make your way to the nearest exit. Thank you for visiting and we hope you have a nice day." The speaker sounded through the zoo.

I pouted. "Cool zoo, a pity they don't have dolphins."

"It's good, at least we know that dolphins aren't kept in captivity here."

"All good things seem to come to an end, no?" I sighed as we walked to the exit. Keenan stopped in his tracks.

"Or maybe they don't." He flashed me a grin before he held out his hand to me. "Have you ever slept together with goats?"

I shook my head.

"There's a first time for everything." He shrugged as I put my hand in his. He smirked as he led the way to the petting enclosure.

"It's locked." I observed dumbly.

"No shit. Its closing time. Hurry, pass me your pin."

I plucked a pin from my neatly tied up hair and passed it to Keenan. He observed the lock and then twisted the metal pin to fit the lock.

"Oh fuck." He muttered as the lock didn't click open.

My eyes widened as I heard footsteps coming toward us.

"We might have a problem if you don't hurry."

"I know, don't rush me."

I bit my lip nervously and was about to burst out crying from the suspense when the gate suddenly tumbled open.

"Oomph." Air was knocked out from my lungs as I landed heavily on top of Keenan, his face buried in the thick hay. We huddled by the door just as the torchlight shone above us. Footsteps faded away awhile later. I heaved a sigh of relief.

The goats bleeped at us when they realised our presence in their territory.

"Good goats, good goats." I mumbled as I held my palm out to them.

One goat attempted to bite my hand and another started chewing on my straw hat.

Keenan busied himself with making a makeshift bed out of hay by the corner out of direct sight.

"You tired?"

"Dead tired." I yawned as I settled into the soft hay. Although I was worried about the termites and all that existed in the hay, I marvelled in the fact that I was actually sleeping overnight in a zoo.

I was almost fast asleep when suddenly one of the stupid goats sneezed on me.

What the actual fuck.

Keenan guffawed as I screamed.

All in all, I enjoyed every bit of the day Keenan and I spent together.