26

Keenan picks the tuxedo up and holds it in front of him. He is going to confess his love for Holland today. He'd even bought a bouquet of roses from the florist in the city along with a pair of matching lolipop rings.

After nine minutes and forty seven seconds of struggling to put the freshly ironed black suit on without creasing it, Keenan is finally satisfied with how he looks. He smiles again at himself in the mirror, adjusting his bow tie once more.

He has recited what he is going to say to her at least a hundred times. Having already thought of the perfect place to bring Holland to tonight, he spritzes his cologne and opens the door.

However, he is met with an unexpected visitor. He recognizes the man from just the other day.

"Sir," he greets, surprised that Holland's father would turn up on his doorstep. Holland's father does not respond yet again, just keeps staring at him with red rimmed eyes.

In a split second, Keenan's whole world collapsed.

"Holland..." He breathes.

There is something wrong, isn't there? His heart starts beating incredibly quick as he sprints down the steps, Holland's father following closely behind.

Holland's father taps the back of the driver's seat and after an excruciating ten minutes forty one seconds, the car pulls up in front of the private hospital.

Keenan dashes out of the car into the cold hospital, the strong smell of antiseptic and ethanol engulfing him.

"Which ward is Holland Evans in?"

"I'm sorry sir, only family is allowed into the ward."

"I'm fucking family, goddamn it!" He blows up, completely losing his cool. He slams his hand heavily against the marble countertop and the pain shoots up his arm. He ignores the pain and glares at the staff on duty. His breaths are uneven and he struggles to breathe.

"Please...where is Holland Evans ward?"

He must sound desperate, sound completely hopeless because the staff sighs and points toward the lift.

"VIP suites are at the top most level. It's the first room on the right."

"Thank you."

Without waiting another beat, Keenan is by the lift, impatiently jabbing at the button.

"Son, she's not in very good condition. But, I think you should know that she wanted so very much to see you." Holland's father is by his side again. For a moment Keenan forgets about Holland's father. The only thing he can think about is the woman of his life. The one he only recently realize he might just love.

"I still don't approve of you. But she may not make it. This is what she wants. You are what she wants."

Keenan can only nod numbly. What supposed to hurt did not hurt. He makes no move to console her father who looks just as beaten down. They are all dealing with their own pain.

The elevator dings open and suddenly Keenan feels hollow, he feels something he never felt before. There is only silence that seems to stretch on forever before he registers the sound of machines beeping. Holland's mother is by her side, grasping onto her hand for dear life.

"Oh baby." She sobs.

The doctor is on standby.

"She's not on any life support or anything. She had a tear in her aorta. It's small enough to keep her alive for awhile, but, like her previous doctor mentioned in her chart, too large for a surgery to be successful. Now, she's just holding on. She's unconscious but she's still alive. She looks like she doesn't want to let go just yet. It truly is a miracle. She was admitted awhile ago, just be prepared for anything now." The doctor explains simply to Keenan who is barely paying any attention. Holland's father pats him on the back, excusing the doctor, indicating for him to take his leave.