8

"The food was delish." I sighed in content, wiping the thick paper napkin gently against my lips.

"Thanks for dinner." He laughed, seemingly having forgotten the near death experience he almost had.

We walked back to our hotel and moved on to alcoholic drinks they served in the beverage bar.

"Would you rather chicken wings or burgers?" He asked as an attempt to get a conversation going.

"Huh?"

"People play mini games like this to sort of like, become better friends." He explained like I was an idiot.

"Oh. I thought we were friends?"

"We are, I guess. But we can always get to know each other better."

"Definitely chicken wings. My turn. Lolipops or ice cream?"

"None. Both are way too sweet for me. But if I had to choose, ice cream. It would melt before I get sick of the sweetness. Would you rather lose the ability to walk or to talk."

"To talk definitely." This way, I don't have to grow up to become a lawyer. "Would you rather be able to teleport or to become invisible?"

"Good question. I don't mind both. Both allow me to get out of harm's way."

I did not question his answer. I sipped on my wine and began to feel a little tipsy. I giggled as I watched Keenan eye me.

"Maybe you should stop drinking."

"Oh, dear. Stop being such a wet blanket."

"I'm not. I'm trying to look out for you."

"Well, don't. I don't need you to."

"Fine."

"Fine."

Silence ensued before I started yapping on again.

"Keeeeeeenan." I squealed, surprising the couple on our right.

"Yeah?"

"If you could go anywhere on earth, where would you go?"

"I'd go to Japan. I'd always wanted to go there."

"Oooh, I love Japan!" I bounced in my chair as I downed another glass.

"Maybe we could go there together one day."

I waved my hands in the air.

"It's not possible anymore."

"What? Why?"

"I won't tell you why." I giggled as I dipped my finger into my sauce and licked it.

"Alright. Who was your first crush?"

"Benjamin Hockkins. I loved him since first grade. I guess it was love at first sight. Nope, I don't know here he is or how he is doing now because I changed to a private school the second year. My turn. Tell me about the first girl you kissed."

By now, even in my half drunken state, I could tell that Keenan was also getting a little drunk.

"Hm. The first girl I kissed was named Bethany. She had the most beautiful features I had ever seen on a girl. I had a crush on her for the longest time. It was an accidental kiss. She was walking along the sidewalk near the road one morning after it poured. She slipped and I so happened to be in front of her. I caught her and broke her fall. I sprained my ankle but it was worth it. After a few years, she moved and I hadn't seen her since."

I nodded sadly and leant across the table. I patted his head and ruffled his hair.

"Poor Keenan."

"My turn. If you only had one day left to live, what would you do?"

"One day is not enough." I whimpered as I curled on the seat. I could feel the tears welling in my eyes.

At maximum, according to your results and the estimated speed the aneurysm is growing, you only have two to three more months to live.

Three to four more months mean I have about eight to twelve more weeks to live. Now I have eleven more weeks to go. I was afraid it wasn't enough.

"What if I tell you I'm dying. That I don't have much time left."

"I'd smack you and tell you you had too much to drink."

"Yeah, please do." I laughed softly.

"Holland, what the fuck? You made me come along with you, not knowing this is part of some dying wish." Keenan was getting agitated now, hand gestures were wider, eyes angrier.

"I'm sorry."

He stood up abruptly.

"I'm leaving, Holland. I don't think I can do this. I don't know how to. How could you do this to me?" He stared at me, disappointment filling his eyes.

All that registered in my mind was his retreating form.

It's okay. I'd always been alone anyway, why had I thought it would be any different now?