21

After a takeout dinner, Keenan and I went to bed and woke up well after lunch hours. We ordered delivery and afternoon rolled around before we knew it. The butterflies in my stomach just weren't going away. I was nervous, especially since I was going home without the re-enrolment receipt.

"Hey, I'll be with you. No worries." Keenan said soothingly as we got on the train. We decided not to walk because it was a tad bit chilly.

I nodded, but it doesn't help much.

Finally, we reached the stop nearest to my house and we got off. It was still a long way to go. I walked in silence while Keenan cracked his signature 'knock knock' jokes. I laughed halfheartedly at the punch line each time.

I took shaky steps toward the gate and Keenan held me. Worry clouding his grey eyes.

"Is going home that bad?" He frowned.

"You'll see."

I knew my father. His reputation means more than his family. How others see him is more important than how I see him.

"It'll be okay." Keenan reassured me.

The minute the door opened, my mother rushed toward me.

"Where have you been?" She asked frantically as she pulled me in close for a hug.

"Everywhere." I muttered as I returned her hug.

Behind her, I caught sight of my father. His figure dark and brooding and there were eyebags under his eyes. The odd thing was, he couldn't quite meet my eyes.

"Hi ma'am, hi sir, I'm Keenan Drew."

No one replied to him and we all stared awkwardly at each other.

"Are you not going to ask me anything? 'Where is your re-enrolment receipt', 'why are you home without it', nothing?"

His tired eyes lifted and met mine.

"How are you, Holland?" He asked softly, much to my surprise.

"I uh, I'm good. Uh, how have you been?" I stuttered, still unable to get over my initial surprise.

"I have been good, tired mostly, but still okay. Come in, come in."

I was about to enter the house when I remembered about Keenan. I turned and caught hold of his jacket sleeve as he was slipping away.

"When am I going to see you again?" I asked, my voice breaking a little. I didn't want him to leave.

"I'll come find you. We'll go for lunch and a movie." He smiled his Keenan Drew smile and I relaxed.

"Yeah, okay. That sounds nice." I squeezed his hand.

He left the compound and took a right, out of my side, not before sending me a wink.

I wasn't quite sure why that felt so much like goodbye.