Five

Getting ready for the ball went by in a blur. Something about the way Harry had been acting was bothering me, and I couldn't seem to get it out of my head no matter how hard I tried. Isabelle and a few other maids that I'd never met before busied themselves with making sure my dress was perfect, corset tight enough and that my hair was in place. I was wearing a more human style dress what was a dark blue, almost black, with a silver design on the bodice and skirt. the dress was off the shoulder so it showcased my protruding collar bones, and lack of a mating mark. Which I imagine was my fathers point when he had this commissioned. As they worked they chatted about an endless array of topics, but my mind was a thousand kilometres away. All to soon for my liking it was time to head down to the ball.

"Amelia Dayton, escorted by Dion Dayton!" a man announced out as my brother and we walked into the ballroom

"Amelia Dayton, escorted by Dion Dayton!" a man announced out as my brother and we walked into the ballroom. I nervously played with my necklace as all eyes turned to look as us, some were friendly, others curious, and others were wary. The necklace was a source of comfort for me. It belonged to my mother, given to her by my father while they were courting. It was a pewter pendant of a rose through a crescent moon, our pack symbol we were all born with on the back of our necks. The pack symbol is a point of pride for us. It shows where we belong, Its also a symbol of loyalty and fealty to our Alpha. If a Wolf changes packs when they mate, their pack mark changes too. its an painful process that keeps most people from marrying outside the back.

I smiled at the onlookers, trying ignore the pounding of my heart that i'm sure everyone could hear. "Go mingle with the Alphas I'll be by father." Didi said, motioning his read to where our father stood, talking with other councilmen. The Alphas and Lunas all wore their crowns, something we adapted from the humans centuries ago. As I walked through the sea of people, a familiar scent caught my attention. I smiled involuntarily as I looked over to see Harry looking at me. He was standing with Louis and I assume Louis' mate. I gave him a nod, not wanting to impose or cling to the one alpha I actually know. "Hello" a gravely voice from behind me said, pulling my attention away from Harry. "You look ravishing." I turned to give the newcomer my attention. He was Tall and muscular, by all accounts he would be attractive if it wasn't for the predatory look in his eyes. Like he was a collector, and I a rare gem. "Good Evening Sir." I said politely. I didn't recognize him from the council and I could tell he wasn't an alpha. "Dimitri" was all he said in introduction, flashing his blue wolf eyes. Relief flooded my body knowing that he wasn't going to be one of the people my father may choose from. Something about him made my skin crawl. "Nice to meet you. I'm Amelia of Rose Moon." I answered. He even smelled off. Like something spicy and burnt. "I know. Dance with me." he demanded, grabbing my wrist and pulling to him. A hand grabbed mine and sent a shock through my causing me to gasp. I looked to see who had grabbed me, and saw Harry staring Dimitri down. 

Earlier he had been too far away to fully take in his appearance. He had on a black silk tunic with gold and blue damask print. His hair was no longer up in the bun that it had been the last two times I'd seen him. Instead fell in loose ringlets that brushed his shoulders. On top of his head sat a beautifully intricate gold crown with diamond and sapphires around it. In the centre was a larger sapphire, cut in shape of a crescent moon. the symbol of the Blue Moon pack. 

"I'm truly sorry, but I'm going to have to steal the beautiful Amelia from you for a while

"I'm truly sorry, but I'm going to have to steal the beautiful Amelia from you for a while. I was promised a dance and I intend to collect." Harry said lowly and flashing his red eyes as a show of dominance. "Of course Alpha Styles." Dimitri said, squeezing my wrist painfully before letting go and storming off. I pouted slightly and rubbed my wrist that had the white imprint of his hand wrapped around it. Harry took my wrist to inspect it, shocking me once again. "You sir, need to go de-static yourself." I teased, earning a confused look. "You keep shocking me." I clarified, watching his eyes widen in shock and something that I couldn't read before he regained his composure. "My apologies Princess, I'll be more careful" He said with a sly smirk. I laughed and shook my head. "Theres that term again." I said rolling my eyes. Harry's eyes darkened slightly before his face broke out in another cocky grin that seemed to be his permanent  facial expression. "No other title is fitting for someone as beautiful as you." He said with a mock bow. I threw my head back and laughed. "You flatter me, Mr Styles." Harry looked and my with a singular eyebrow raised. "I believe I told you to call me Harry." he said with a pointed look. I nodded and looked at the floor. "You did. I just wasn't sure if you meant only wile it was just the two of us in the gardens. Not when we're surrounded by others." I explained, my face heating up for no good reason. "I love it when you blush. Its such a pretty shade and so easy to do." Harry mused, making my face flush farther. "How about that dance?" He asked holding his hand out to lead me to where others were dancing, once again shocking my slightly.

Dancing with harry was amazing. It felt like no one else existed, just me and him floating around i our own little world. He poked fun at med trying a bit to hard to woo their lady friends and the girls that were being too obvious on their hunt for a good mate. Every once in a while I caught my father's eye and he'd give me a nod before turning back to whoever he was talking to. Harry's sent blocked out all the others, and calmed me while we twirled around together. But all good things much come to an end and someone else asked if he could cut in. I didn't pay much attention to the Alpha I was dancing with. He seemed like a nice guy, but load. being in his arms like this didn't feel quite right the way it had with harry. I danced with a few more others, paying less and less attention to them, essentially running on autopilot. Listening just enough, talking just enough, and nodding just enough to not be considered rude. Much to my disappointment I didn't get the chance to talk to harry again before it was time for me to retire for the night. 

Five chapters in! PLEASE let me know what you think so far! I really like this story and hope you all do too!