Six

Things at the Palace had quieted over night. Everyone, except those that needed to be here for the council meeting, left late last night after the ball. Isabelle woke me up this morning with a mint tea to settle my stomach after so much wine last night, and some tonic for the pain in my head. "Where did you get this stuff?" I asked, swallowing the the vile tasing concoction. "I made it myself miss, i want to be a healer." She said, i hadn't been expecting that answer and was shocked. Why would she work as a maid then? "Do you study under a healer?" I asked frowning, i could feel it working wonders already. "No Miss, I'm self taught. My mother was sick often as a child and we couldn't afford a healer, so i learned all i could about making tonics and potions." Isabelle said with a sad smile and a far away look on her face. "It worked for a few years. But she eventually got too sick."

On my way to the council meeting i was lost in thought thinking about what Isabelle had said. I wanted to ask my father about employing her as my maid, I wanted to learn about medicinal herbs but our healer had too much to deal with for me to ask him. But at the same time, there are no humans on our pack lands and She'd be defenceless during a raid attack. Some packs had human slaves but i didn't want that for her. It was best that she stay here. I was snapped out of my thoughts when I walked into a wall.  "Oof! Trying to take me out Princess?" Harry had asked. It turned out that Harry was the wall. My eyes widened in shock and fear. "I'm so sorry Alpha Styles! I was lost in thought and didn't see you. I'm so sorry!" I rambled frantically looking at everything but him, my face flushing more and more. "Calm down Pup!" Harry laughed, taking a hold of my arms. I huffed indignantly at the nickname, but secretly liked it coming from him. "I'm  17" I mumbled. Harry chuckled and looked down at me with a dimpled smile. "I'm 126. You're still a pup." He said with a glint in his eyes. I blinked in shock. With show strong her was I thought for sure that he was at least 300. He's so young to be a pack alpha. His red wolf eyes flashed in my head, making me frown. "Come. Lets not keep the old men waiting." Harry winked, holding out his arm for my to take. I placed my hand on his forearm and allowed him to lead me, willing my heart to remain steady.

The council meeting was boring to say the least. Old men arguing about needless things. Completely disregarding the best interests of their packs. To say I was disappointed in our Alphas was an understatement. Dion didn't pay any attention, Our father tried his hardest to lobby support for getting rid of the rouges and every one else, apart from Harry, was power hungry. Harry hardly spoke a word, just watched them bicker with an intense look in his eyes. He was just watching and learning and picking the best time to interject. After the meeting I went out into the garden to sit under the tree. My wolf was stressed out and needed to run. I missed being home where I could run through the forests without a care in the world. This time I didn't wait to to behind a tree to change. I didn't care who saw, I was feeling trapped in my human form and needed to be free as soon as possible. They're all idiots. My wolf, Nova, said to me as I changed. I mentally agreed with her and rolled around in the grass, relishing in the temporary freedom. A butterfly caught my attention, flying from flower to flower. I frolicked around it, yipping quietly to make it fly around. I got low in the grass, rump in the air, and jumped, barking happily until the cedar smell of an Alpha hit my nose. I looked up and spotted a Large black wolf with red eyes on a near by rock watching me. I'd been so caught up in playing that I didn't sense him approaching. Nova was instantly on high alert. I pulled back my control a little, giving her more control. The wolf looked amused and laid down, rolling its eyes. I sniffed the air once more before realizing the wolf was Harry. My ears perked up and I relaxed instantly, taking back my control over Nova.

          I walked over to the base of the rock with a bounce in my step now that I knew who it was

          I walked over to the base of the rock with a bounce in my step now that I knew who it was. Harry put a large paw on my head playfully. Once again he shocked me,this time was stronger than yesterday at the ball. I whined and rubbed my head pitifully with both paws. Harry barked out a laugh and stood up. Giving me a look that clearly told me to stay where I was. I tilted my head to the side as I watched him disappear behind a hedge. I whined lowly for him to come back. When he did He was in his human form once again. "Hello little pup." He teased, petting me behind my ears. I mentally rolled my eyes, and trotted back over to by clothes behind the tree. He turned around so that I could shift. "What brings you out here Harry? I figured you'd have gone back to your pack by now." I stated, walking back to Harry. He looked me over and rubbed the back of his neck. "I came to see what you thought about the council meeting." He said with his signature smirk. "Can I be candid?" he nodded for me to continue. "I don't know what I expected, but it wasn't that. The council is supposed to work out issues with the packs. trade agreements and things like that. But... It's just men wanting more land and larger packs for more power. That doesn't help anyone at all." I said, combing my hands through my now matted hair. "The council are tired. Most of them are nearly 900 years old. They've lost sight of the real picture." Harry said with a sigh. "Most of then don't know the feeling of running free or frolicking with butterflies." He said with a smile and my face went red hot. "Don't get embarrassed Little One. It was refreshing to see." I was going to respond when Dion came running down the garden Path towards us. "Hello Alpha Styles,  I'm sorry to interrupt but our father needs to speak to Minnie here." Dion said putting his arms around my shoulders. Harry laughed and nodded while I just scowled. "Hope to see you again sometime, Miss Dayton."