Chapter 10: Tomoyo's Dad

***Tomoyo***P.O.V

It was just an ordinary Monday or at least I hope it would be. Yuichi going to jail was now the new topic of the school. I for one wasn't be interested on anything they had to say about that.

I walk into homeroom and sat next to Kanou like I always do. He barely looks at me. I decide to give him a little wave but in response he just nods.

So much for a wave back, but at least I'm making progress with Kanou, I guess.

***

When school was over I walk home alone. I unlock my old wooden front door and take off my shoes at the entrance inside. I shut the door behind me, when I notice another pair of shoes at the entrance way.

No, it couldn't be. He couldn't be home. I walked into the living room to see my father sitting on the couch. The worst part is there were beer bottles everywhere.

My father rarely came home from work he was always traveling somewhere on business trips for his job. I was surprised that he was actually here in front of me.

My father wakes up probably because he heard my footsteps. When he gets up I am greeted with a hug. I shove him off of me. I still can't get over the fact that he spends more time at work than with me.

"Come on Tomoyo, don't be like that give your ol' man a hug." He says stretching his arms out.

I don't respond and instead glare at him before going to my room, slamming the door. How can he think after being gone for almost a month now that everything is alright? That everything is going to be the same just because you pop by when you feel like it and send money?

I scream in frustration. I then look at the pictures of me and Kanou in the photo booth from the Spring Festival. I pay close attention to the one where I kiss Kanou on the cheek.

I watch hours go by but I don't dare leave my room. I was hoping I would never have to see him again.

Suddenly there is a knock on my bedroom door. I reluctantly get up to open it, only to find my dad's drunken face.

"Hey honey, come out of your room and come have dinner with me." He slurs.

"Oh let me think...no!" I yell trying to push the door closed but he forces it to stay open.

"Then can I at least get a hug from my daughter that I haven't seen in almost a month?" He asks making a puppy dog face.

I can tell he's not going to give up so I open the door and force myself to give him a hug.

Even though I'm mad at him part of me wants to hug him longer because unlike my mom he hasn't completely left my life just yet.

When I finally release him I slam the door shut and lock it. I slide slowly to the ground exhaling. What a day this has been and yet I was hoping it would be a normal Monday.

***

The next morning I got ready for school, after all my dad probably already left for work yesterday night. I walk into the living room and I start to smell something really good.

I follow the scent all the way into the kitchen where I finally see my dad in the kitchen cooking eggs.

"Oh, morning." My dad says with a cheerful grin.

"Huh...morning." I force myself to say. I had to admit I wasn't expecting him to still be at home.

"Hey, are you hungry?" My dad asks now flipping the eggs.

"Nah I never eat before I go to school." I say shrugging.

"That's not very healthy for you." He adds.