3. Kingdom Ramapur

It has been a week since Arjuna has accepted the invitation to visit Ramapur and bizarrely enough he was convinced to attend the swayamvar too. According to Abhiras's minister of Rural welfare: Ratan Khatri, visiting the palace of Ramapur can give them a closer chance to watch the behaviour of the king and moreover attending a swayamvar of a beautiful princess can do no harm. However, Vikram was not happy with this conclusion, he strongly believed that king Indradas is using this invitation as a bait to trap Arjuna and his chances of protecting his king outside their kingdom might be weakened.

Arjuna was not sure if this decision of visiting Ramapur was wise or not but these two were the only ones Arjuna can trust his life with and sending them on a mission with no military power to Ramapur kingdom was not wise. Ratan has always been a close friend, the one he grew up with and he could confess the same about Vikram but he always has high walls built around him, dodging away any sort of emotions he might receive.

A soft knock on the door of the chambers interrupted his flow of thoughts.

"Come inside, Vikram." Arjuna said, gesturing him to take a seat by the cot placed by the end of the balcony. He had requested Vikram to find out information about the Ramapur and the swayamvar to get a clear view about what he was getting into.

Right behind Vikram, walked in Ratan with a huge grin on his face. He turned out to be the most excited one about these talks of the princess.

"My greetings, your Majesty. I have successfully accomplished the task I have been assigned and-"

"For heaven's sake," Ratan screamed at a high pitch halting Vikram, "Stop acting as if we are handling another royal court, Vikram! We are here to discuss about a princess, a woman! Can you not be a little informal to lighten up the mood?"

Vikram's lips tightened hearing him, which slowly followed with an eye roll making Arjuna stifle a laugh at his friends.

"Alright. Coming to the point, princess Priyamvada is the eldest daughter of the eastern king, Indradas." Vikram spoke, sitting down slowly.

"Eldest?" Asked Ratan with a surprised expression, "We believed he had only one Princess?"

"Yes, Ratan. It was a surprise indeed, the king has two daughters and one son. The king's second wife was a royal dancer and hence she was never given the treatment of a royal wife but their daughter is respected and is given the same status as princess Priyamvada." Vikram took a break, giving time for them to process.

"It was very effortless to learn about princess Priyamvada." Said Vikram in a monotonous tone, "She is said to be a beauty with brains, the princess is also called as the queen of fine arts for her mesmerising dancing and singing skills, and has always been the kings favourite for her righteousness. "

"If it was me, I would never marry such a woman." Snorted Ratan with a smile making Vikram genuinely wonder why.

"Why, minister Ratan?"

"Oh Vikram, you are aware of my talents, aren't you? People might be overwhelmed if I get a talented wife like myself and moreover, no woman can be beautiful like me, right?"

Arjuna couldn't help but burst with roaring laughter hearing his words and this time Vikram too, broke down laughing along.

* * *

The journey to Ramapur kingdom has finally come to an end. It was a tiring two days trip, the evening darkness surrounded them as they reached the eastern kingdom. All the way to the palace there were very few people around in the villages and it was almost clear that the villagers were instructed not to be seen around when the king arrives.