31. Staggered

Chitra let her hair out from the tight bun and combed her hair free from tangles. She changed herself into comfortable clothes ready for sleeping.

Arjuna was already fast asleep, she smiled looking at his tiresome face. She never knew that being a king can be this stressful, she slowly moved close towards him being careful enough to not disturb his sleep.

She slowly smoothed the thin lines of frowns on his forehead, he slightly shifted closer towards her and Chitra pulled her hand back. He needs sleep and she can't disturb him.

When she was about to turn to the other side Arjuna pulled her by her waist and slowly opened his eyes, "You took forever to change your clothes." He complained in a husky voice as he pressed his nose in her hair as her sweet smell of Jasmine's engulfed him in it.

Chitra didn't reply, she closed her eyes enjoying the moment.

"Chitra, I know it's too late to ask but are you happy here?" Arjuna asked, slowly tilting his head towards her face towards his. A month just passed by with so many issues to handle.

She smiled and put her hand around his neck, "If you are with me, I can even survive hell." She replied running her dainty fingers over his right eyebrow.

He bent a little and captured her lips and Chitra had a whole swarm of butterflies flying in her stomach. Even his look has the capacity to ignite a fire which was incomprehensible for her.

After a long passionate kiss she laid her head on his chest, thinking how crazily deep she has fallen in his love. Should she just spill it out? After this kiss, she definitely knows that this is not just lust, it cannot be.

"I love you Arjuna." She whispered, hopping he might hear her. A small frown was forming on her forehead as he didn't reply anything.

She raised her head to see his face, he was sleeping soundly with his lips parting a little. Silently laughing at his tiresome face hugged him tight in comfort.

Now that she said those words out it felt good. If not now then tomorrow, we have a forever together, thought Chitra drifting into a peaceful sleep.

* * *

Chitra stood outside the royal hall listening to what was happening inside. It has been a month since she has been here but due to all the bandits and Nandhini's issue Arjuna could not hold a ceremony to announce her as the queen, so till then she was not supposed to step inside the hall.

But her curiosity made her stand nearby and listen to the conversations. She felt like a small kid, sneaking around to listen conversations.

The royal court was nothing like Ramapur. It was huge, almost four times the size of her kingdom's and a golden throne sat at the end of the hall, it was so beautifully carved and designed that for a few minutes Chitra could do nothing but feel proud that the throne only amplified her husband's handsomeness.

Her face glowed with love and pride when everyone at the royal court got up bowing with a Namaskar when Arjuna walked in.

The discussions soon began, Arjuna explained the situation to king Aditya that Princess Nandhini had rejected this wedding.

"You cannot cancel this marriage. You can't put our kingdom's reputation at stake!" King Aditya almost shouted, frustration clear in his voice.

Chitra knew this, that night Arjuna guessed that the king who might be helping those bandits would be Aditya Kumar, king of Devampura. According to Vikram they were so focused on thinking that her father was the one behind this that they almost crossed out their neighbouring king. Aditya wanted to marry Princess Nandhini for straight and clear access to their kingdom's secrets and without a minister's help this was never possible.