43. Village Kalikapur

The sky turned red and cloudless indicating that the sun was about to take a break from the day and according to Rajan they should reach a village called Kalikapur soon. Chitra was drenched in frustration, after their happy romantic moment from the morning she wanted some space for self. Some personal space to clear up her clouded brain and heart, even this morning his eyes held those words of pure unsaid love for her, his teasing smiles and his romantic yet gentle touches confused her raging brain.

How can such a man like Arjuna, her dear husband ever doubt her purity and kill their child? If those intense feelings which his eyes portrayed were love then he would never abort their child, for his eyes can never lie. But he himself confessed about killing their child then why is she feeling a strong throb of guilt gripping her heart.

Her heavy thoughts of her husband came to a halt as Arjuna abruptly pressed his front to her back and placed his hand on her forehead pushing her to bend forward, almost squeezing the air out of her.

"What-"

"Why are you so lost all the time? You were about to get hit by a low branch." His voice resembled that of a scolding but it was laced with concern for her and once more her heart started pounding loud. This is the reason it is becoming deadly hard to look in his eyes and hate him, how can she? When her heart still drums up with just a light touch from him just like the first time they have met.

Arjuna's eyebrows furrowed seeing Chitra being lost In deep thoughts, was she sick? She has been lost like this almost all day, maybe her body is unable to deal with this long horse journey.

Arjuna pressed the back of his palm to her forehead to check her temperature. A feeling of shock crossed his face, her skin was as cold as the icy waters which flow from the Himalayas. He mentally cursed himself for not considering this.

Arjuna quickly forced the horse belt in Chitra's hand and wrapped his other hand around her waist which made Chitra gasp at his sudden grip.

"What are you-" Before she could conclude her words she could see Arjuna bend side-wards of the horse reaching a cloth bag hung.

Almost in seconds, her hand was holding his hand tight which he wrapped around her waist, how careless can he be! What if he falls down?

Chitra's brain was ready with curses to give him an earful the moment he sat straight. However, she was left speechless when he wrapped a warm jute scarf around her neck and ears covering her face from the evening's cold wind.

He moved closer, his legs touching hers and his broad shoulders housing her from the strong winds. An immediate feeling of warmth and love-filled her heart, painting her cheeks a crimson colour.

"Why wouldn't you tell me that you were feeling cold?" She could feel his soft breaths tickling her neck.

Lust can be controlled but love? Love is like a never-ending river, love is an ocean and once you step inside its vastness you can't help but drown yourself willingly in it.

Chitra has decided, she will ignore her brain and follow her heart, as she knows that her husband, her Arjuna, loves her irrespective of anything. So leaving all her worries to air, she placed her head on his shoulder leaning her head and Arjuna pressed her head so that it could touch his neck, he was caressing her hair silently telling her to rest, telling her that he will take care of her so she closed her eyes in content losing herself to a dreamless sleep like this all she ever needs, him and just his love.

* * *

Arjuna's faint voice woke her up, she slowly opened her eyes to a small entrance of a village decorated with several oil lamps.