44. Lost Truths

The night's clear blue-black sky was studded with multiple tiny stars and Nandhini stood by the dark balcony lost in deep thoughts. After her father's demise the situations at palace and kingdom were more than difficult to handle, many trusted minister's turned into vultures hawking around the throne to have the ultimate power to themselves, however Arjuna never gave up. He remained strong and carried the values which their father followed and respected.

A teenager amazed everyone, he took over the throne as the rightful heir and held the kingdom from tearing apart because of few power sucking ministers. Nandhini clearly remembers how staggered she was, at that age she never understood why her father never woke up but her brother never left her side. He was always near her to wipe her tears but now she felt helpless. His love was falling apart and she is unable to do anything.

Chitra loves Arjuna and so does her brother, but Chitra's pain was gripping her from seeing the reality and Arjuna's fear of losing her was stopping him from talking to her. All Nandhini has to do is find a solid proof to catch Apsara.

Apsara is a demon with a cover of princess who caused a drift between her brother and Chitra. She knows for sure that Chitra will rip her soul out the minute she knows the truth, but how will she?

A strong wind of determination passed through her, she will dig out those proves against that woman before her brother and sister-in-law return to the palace. She couldn't even take a wink of sleep with all these thoughts clouding her brain and just when she was about to turn around she could see a soldier walking hastily with a small oil dia in his hand.

Her eyes narrowed observing his walking style, his clothes and armour resembled his rank of a guarding soldier but no soldier would dare walk this carelessly right inside the palace or as much as take a leave before their shift ends. Nandhini had a gut feeling about that man being no soldier of their palace and her gut feeling was never proved wrong, so she quickly walked inside her chambers placing her foot on the bed removing her anklets and bangles.

She pulled out a light colored silk scarf from her almirah and covered her face with it, trying to be as silent as possible she ran in that way which the soldier had walked.

Nandhini stopped in her tracks running to a nearby pillar to hide as she could see a faint shadow moving, this area behind the palace was almost always empty with few trees and bushes around.

"Where the hell were you?" Indistinct voice of Apsara could be heard as she and that soldier walked near the trees.

"It was tough to escape without catching anyone's attraction, anyway what is the plan now?" The soldier has a sharp voice which was clearly being heard even to a long distance.

"That dumb princess Nandhini has placed all her spies as maids around me, even breathing peacefully has become difficult!" Apsara almost cried with frustration and Nandhini smiled to herself in accomplishment.

He scratched his head as he spoke, "Then what do we do now?"

"I have a plan." Apsara said running a hand through her long hair, "Day after tomorrow, all the kingdom and palace would be busy celebrating Diwali and at the right time we will break into the dungeon to get Aditya out of it and then, we run."

Nandhini's eyes bulged open, if they run away it will be more than impossible to catch them. She has to do something before the worst happens but how?

"What about that boy, Sridhar?"

"Neither my brother nor I are fond of that troubling shit, we will sell him at the slave market and make some money out of him." Apsara's voice sounded inhuman, no one might ever believe that such a beautiful woman with the looks of an Angel might be this evil. It was truly said, looks are always deceiving.

* * *

All night long heavy rain bucketed down from sky like no tomorrow and now that the sky was clear they have started their journey towards the Kali temple and coincidentally the Kaala van forest where the fear of black magic has gripped the villagers was right behind the temple.

The forest was popular for its Reetha  production, Kaala van was the only source of Reetha's production for all over Devampura but now with these deadly rumours no trader is ready to step in here which in return has increased the price of this commodity, making the access of these difficult for the commoners.

Once again, like always poor and innocent peasants were being robbed off with huge prices.

Chitra's legs were aching already as they had decided to go by foot, the temple was close but it was hard to locate because of the dark dense forest so Vikram and Rajan left to ask the closest route, while the climate was pleasant her husband was burning with unknown frustration, he has been like this since last night.

Vikram and Rajan soon returned with a shortcut to reach the temple. Chitra and Arjuna were following behind them quietly, Arjuna was walking ahead of her trying to clear the way for her but unfortunately an unseen thorn pierced her bare foot.

"Ahh!" Chitra yelped and Arjuna rushed to her side and when he noticed her foot he bent down placing her foot on his kneeled thigh trying to remove the thorn.

"Rajan, follow Vikram. We will be with you shortly." Chitra suggested Rajan and Arjuna's lips scrunched up in dislike.

Was Arjuna jealous? A small thought crossed her mind. Maybe he was upset that she sat almost all night talking with Rajan.

"Why do you like that boy?" Arjuna asked in a low tone, all his looks were fixed on her foot but all his concentration on her reply.

"Oh him, he looks cute right?" Chitra teased and Arjuna gritted his teeth in anger as he pulled out the tiny thorn making her shriek at the sudden pull.

He stood up walking leaving her behind and Chitra giggled looking at his sulking frame, oh sweet lord how can king of such a huge empire look so adorable at times?

She ran towards his side holding his arm, "I was joking, your majesty! No one is cuter than my husband."

Arjuna's heart swelled with love and pride, she thinks he is the cutest? How many days has it been since she called him as her husband, Arjuna wanted to pull her in a huge hug but he still faked his anger trying to get his answer, "Then that boy?"

Chitra laughed looking at him, he accepted her compliment but he wouldn't leave the aspect of Rajan, "Rajan just reminds me of Sridhar, it humors me to see an eighteen year old being similar to a five year old. Moreover, we were talking about the black magic issue."

His heart felt light as if some huge rock was pushed away, Chitra thinks of him as a five year old, so it is of no problem.

"A total of fifteen young girls went missing." Arjuna shared the information he has gathered yesterday night, "The moment I get my hands on them, they are dead. Those bastards would be guillotined, killing innocent children is inhuman and such-"

Chitra stopped dead in her tracks pulling his hand backwards, letting all the pent up frustration and pain of her heart out and she asked  as a lone tear slipped from her eyes, "Then why did you kill our child, Arjuna?" 

---------

A/N :
•Reetha: This plant was one of the
                 very few options for hair
                 care, usually used as a
                 shampoo.

I remember using this as a kid, it made my hair rough but nonetheless my hair was thick and black. (Ah good old days!)

Yes, our couple is finally discussing about the main issue! 

TQK crossed 100 thousand reads and 9000 + votes! And is ranked as #19 in historical fiction!!

Thank you so much my lovely readers making for making this possible ❤️❤️

A vote per chapter keeps a writer healthy and happy! So please, press this star will you? 🌟