14. Saved.

Fear had a death grip on Chitra as she stood frozen, the drunken man was making his way towards her swinging and slurring some disgusting words. Chitra tried to run, but where to? The doors were locked. She tried to scream for help, but her chambers were located almost at the end of the palace making it impossible to scream for guards. The main doors were locked and that drunken man was making his way to reach her. But when he stumbled once again in his drunken state, he pushed a huge oil lantern which was near the entrance and just like a wildfire, all the curtains on that side of the room caught fire.

Slow puffs of smoke came out making it impossible to even breathe, but even the rising dangerous fire and eye-burning smoke could not make that demon stop his advances. He moved forward trying to pull Chitra's veil, scratching her shoulder with his dirty sharp nails in the process.

Dread and horror gripped her soul as she let out an ear-splitting scream and almost in reflex she hit his eyes making him groan in pain but unfortunately her feet smashed against the edge of her huge bed making her fall flat on her face. A wave of sob passed through her thinking how luck was never on her side. The intensity of fire increased making it hard for her to breathe and second by second she was losing confidence and hope. Her foot was bleeding and her head was pounding as if she was hit by a hammer. Maybe this was the end for her, to die in pain and hopelessness, a happy ending was never written in her destiny. Her eyes were slowly shutting close but before she lost her consciousness she saw a huge figure barging inside the room.

"Chitra!" A worried voice reached her ears and just for one last time she wanted to see who it was as she forced her heavy eyelids to open.

It was Vikram. Her eyes guessed out even in that dark and smokey room. He moved in long strides hitting the man behind till he passed out as he slowly lifted her up, adjusting her veil around her neck and carrying her out of her chambers. When her brain finally registered that she was saved from that demon, she started crying till all her tears were out, she was safe. Her whole body was trembling in his arms and the burning sensation in her eyes alongside the pounding headache was making it hard for her to open her eyes.

As she was slowly drifting into the unconscious state she saw a worried Arjuna making his way towards her. Was imagining him now that she was about to die? But very soon she was shifted into his arms. He immediately pulled her close to his body not asking her about anything.

His gentle fingers were on her cheek wiping her tears and his warmth lulled her into a deep sleep, feeling home she drifted into a peaceful sleep.

* * *

The sunset seemed beautiful to Arjuna for the first time. The discussion at the royal court favored him and he had agreed to marry Princess Chitra with no hesitation, why will he? Was she as happy as he was? A small idea struck his brain.

"Vikram."

Vikram almost jumped in front of his room in a fraction of seconds.

"Here, give this ring to Princess Chitra as a Pre-wedding gift." Saying Arjuna removed a golden jade ring, it was not only beautiful but also precious as he had inherited this from his late father.

But very soon the soldier who left with Vikram came running back to his room saying something about the Princesses chamber's were on fire. And almost for the first time Arjuna ran, nothing should happen to the princess and can never forgive himself if something will happen to her with him being right around. When he reached the spot he saw Vikram carrying Chitra outside and seeing her in such a weak state made his heart quench in pain and anger. Where the hell was her soldiers while this happened to her? The moment he took her in his hands he tightened his hold on her and pulled her close. She looked so fragile to him and that strong sense of protecting her intensified in him.

As if on queue, Queen Sulekha and princess Priyamvada came running.

"Oh my god, my poor child! What happened to her?" Asked the queen with sadness but Arjuna could sense the fakeness in her voice.

"There is a man inside her chambers, he was trying to rape the Princess," Vikram replied through gritted teeth as if those words were burning his tongue.

"Rape? How dare that piece of shit to try to lay his hands on the future queen of Abhiras!" Arjuna screamed his lungs off and anger bursting through his veins.

"Get him immediately and slaughter his head right now!" Arjuna's furious voice has made everyone shiver around and Vikram turned back on his heels to her chambers.

"Son! You can't take Princess Chitra with you as you both are not married yet! So she will be resting in my Chambers tonight-" Queen Sulekha's words were cut short by Arjuna.

"I just got to see how incompetent your soldiers are and also the pathetic security system you follow! Chitra will be resting in my chambers and that is final." Arjuna's words were filled with at most disgust.

It was absolutely scary for him to see her in such a state. Chitra looked weak, her face was so pale and her lips lost all the color as they turned dark. She needs immediate medical attention and a strong gut feeling in him told about not trusting her family members at any cost.

***

The evening had passed in a haze and a royal physician came to his chambers to treat Chitra. After doing a basic check-up Arjuna was asked to wait outside but he refused straight away.

"No."

"But my lord please try to understand, this is a rape attempt and we can't have a male around when we treat the princess. And also we will have to change her into a fresh set of clothes." The royal physician pleaded with him to accept her request and maybe they were right, Chitra would definitely feel uncomfortable if she finds out that he was around her when she was being changed clothes.

"I will be right outside and if anything goes wrong with her you will lose your head!" Arjuna Warned in a low voice, which was effective enough as he saw her expression of fear.

It was almost an hour and the physician didn't turn up and Arjuna was losing his calm, was Chitra seriously hurt? Are these physicians even capable?

"My lord!" That physician finally walked out and called for him.

Finally, Arjuna thought.

"How is she?" Arjuna asked, trying his best not to sound desperate.

"She is fine my lord. She has few scratches on her shoulder and her right foot was hurt but there are no major injuries."

"Was she-" Arjuna almost dragged his words as it was painful for him to ask about what she went through.

"No my lord, she was saved. Princess has been rescued before any major harm and also I have made her drink a sleeping liquid for her to rest peacefully throughout the night."

"Okay." He said, "I will send a word for you when she wakes up, make sure that you are available all the time." Saying he walked back to his room.

Chitra was changed into a new pair of clothes and all her ornaments lay beside on the table beside. He walked towards the window and pulled the curtains close making the room a little dark as the moonlight was blocked. Arjuna covered her with a smooth woolen blanket to keep her warm and he bent forward and placed a small kiss on her forehead.

"Sleep my Queen, that bastard would be killed before you wake up." Saying, he dimmed the light of the lantern beside the bed as he walked out of the room closing the doors behind.

--------

Hey there! Don't forget to press the star down here 🌟