The Beginning

Demetria P.O.V.:

"Wake up Dee Dee, grandfather is calling for us."

I was shaken awake by my one and only twin brother. I slowly opened my eyes and glared at him. He knows not to wake me from my slumber, but I will only let him slide this one time. As soon as I open my eyes, my brother walks quickly to our shared closet and pulls out both of our armors.

"Do you know why grandfather requests out presence at this hour?" I ask. 

"Dee Dee, you know not to question grandfather's request. For he is ou—"

"Our grandfather," I finished monotonously. I grabbed the armor laid out in front of me and changed. "Are you sure that he requested the presence of us both? Or just you?" I asked as my head popped out of the chest plate.

Damian's eyes widened slightly but were then replaced with a stoic face. Usually, someone would not notice those small movements and reactions, but I am, and neither is my brother, not the usual. "Both of us." He then turned his back to me and began walking out the door.

"Whatever you say Dami," I whispered. He stopped and turned his head at me smirking but then it fell. He always loves it when I call him by his nickname. It is as if that is the only thing that is fully preventing us from becoming maniacs. 

Damian and I took long strides towards the location of our grandfather. On the 2nd floor porch, stood out grandfather, mother, and uncle, staring out into the field of training soldiers.

"We are here grandfather," said Damian. Grandfather turned around with a smile, but it soon dropped when he saw me.

"Damian," he nodded. "Demetria," he snarled. 

I silently sighed knowing that I am the disliked twin. Damian looked between grandfather and me, confused. I softly bumped my elbow to my brother's side to stop him from moving his head as if he was watching a tennis match. 

Grandfather focused back onto the training ninjas and said, "Here is your legacy, Damian. Here is your inherence. The League of Assassins." 

Damian stepped forward with pride as I took a step back, clenching my teeth and fists with my head down in shame. "Yes grandfather," Damian said with pride. I looked at my brother's back. He is going to be one hell of a leader.

"They will be yours to command. To make certain the Earth abides in natural contentment—" Grandfather continues on explaining Damian's future. 

As the two converse, I hear mother and uncle conversing as well. Before I could even eavesdrop on what they were talking about, uncle was shot. I turned around and got into a fighting stance. Even though I am the "disgrace" of the family, I am one hell of a fighter. But I have to make sure that Damian is the star. He is the oldest after all. 

Before I could even step foot back into the building, I was grabbed by my cape and pulled down onto the ground floor. My mother, brother, and I hid behind a podium. From the podium, I saw ninjas killing and getting killed. 

"Stay here, children," mother said as she ran into battle. Damian and I stayed behind the podium watching everything go down. Damian leaped forward, but I was quick enough to pull him back.

"What are you doing!" he screamed.

I quickly covered his mouth with my hand. He began screaming against my hand but was muffled. I put my free hand against my own mouth, telling him to be quiet. He complied and relaxed, still furious with me. "I know that you can fight Dami," I sighed, "but you are not going to fight them without a weapon." 

Just as I finished, one of the ninjas lost their gun and it went flying towards us. I felt Damian smirk against my hand and I sighed. "Do not get yourself killed. Understood?" He nodded, ran straight for the gun, and began running down the stairs, shooting enemies. 

As soon Damian got to the bottom of the steps, I ran to the side of the building in hopes of finding an entrance into the building. As I was running, a ninja from the enemy's side attacked me with a sword. I swiftly dodged the sword and sweep kicked him. He fell onto his back and I knocked him out with a strong punch to the face. I admired my work and continued on running, not before I picked up the sword that he had dropped. As soon as I reached the side of the building, I saw Slade jump from the porch of one building to another, followed by an explosion of fire, and my fire-engulfed grandfather. Grandfather hit the ground hard. Slade was quick to step onto his back and put a sword to his head.

"No!" I screamed. I ran straight at Slade and kicked him into the wall. "Grandfather," I cried. He may not have been the best grandfather, but he did care for me. I was just always behind my brother's shadow.

"So you're Talia's little bastard. Not bad for a child," Slade said, getting ready to attack me. I didn't hear him, I was too shocked by the corpse in front of me. I turned my head to see him charging at me. I quickly got onto my feet and took a stance with the sword right in front of me. Before any of us could slice the other, Damian attacked him, stabbing him in the eye.

"Now your heart!" Just as Damian went for his heart, smoke bombs were thrown. Next thing we knew, Slade was hanging from the ladder of a helicopter, flying away to god knows where.

"Ubu," I snarled. He used to work for Grandfather but suddenly left. Now we know where.

As the helicopter flew off, Damian ran after it screaming, "Come back and finish it, traitors!"

I look back to the spot where grandfather's corpse laid, only to see it empty. "Grandfather?!" I asked loudly, looking around. 

Damian notices my confusion and worry, and joins me in search for him. As I looked around, I noticed the glowing green light coming from the entrance of the Lazarus Pit. 

"Damian! Over here!" I waved Damian over to the entrance and ran down the stairs. As we ran, we heard our mother telling us to stop, but we did not, we could not.

Entering the room, grandfather was only a few inches away from the Lazarus Pit. Damian ran to him and picked him up, walking towards the pit. 

"Dami you can't," I said softly as I placed a hand on his shoulder.

"We have to try! We can't just leave him!"

"Dami, he's dead."

"You're just jealous that grandfather loves me more than you! You would be happy knowing that he is dead!"

I was surprised by what he said. The words then registered into my brain and I became furious. "It's true that he loves you more. It is also true that I am jealous because of your close relationship with him and everyone else in this compound. But I would never wish death upon family!" I was currently on the verge of tears, and knowing my twin, he was too. There is too much emotion happening in this one day.

"We still have to try," he said looking from grandfather to me.

"You can't Damian."

"Your sister is right Damian," mother said running down the stairs, "The pit cannot restore a body this damaged. He's beyond healing." Damian put him down, and we both put our head down in shame. "You both did your best."

"We failed," we said.

"We can't think about that now. We have to move. Come," mother put out her hand for both of us to grab but we were planted to the ground, "Damian. Demetria. Now," she said sternly. She forcefully grabbed our arms and dragged us.

"Where are we going?" Damian and I asked in unison.

"Gotham City. It's time to meet your father."