The Old Carnival

Demetria's P.O.V.:

We're swinging through the Gotham night sky. All three capes whipping in the wind, as we swing from building to building, flipping from ledge to ledge. The gray gloomy clouds exert lightning and thunder, now and then, creating a thrilling atmosphere. Father is currently in the front, swinging his way over to this Commissioner Gordon. Behind Father, is Damian then me, copying every single one of his moves as we make our way towards the destination. As Father continues forward, Damian and I rotate. One moment, Damian would be behind Father, then the next moment, I would. Despite being in a very serious situation, Damian and I can't help but be siblings—constantly competing. This went on for more than half of the journey.

"I need you two to stop fighting," Father says.

We swing around an apartment complex, onto a cement ledge, and hoist ourselves up.

"We're not fighting," I tell Father as I cut in front of Damian. I look back at him and smirk, mouthing 'I win'. He clenches his teeth and growls.

"I'm not stupid," he says with his back towards us. He presses the button on the grappling hook, unhooking the device from the building, letting him fall. Damian and I do the same.

We jump onto another ledge. Father goes first. He jumps up, landing onto the roof of a house and quickly jumps again onto another. Following in pursuit, Damian and I jump and flip onto the roof, landing crouched down. Damian rises as I stay crouched, staring off into the next building—GCPD.  Lightning and thunder go off behind us, but we don't turn around, we're too busy staring at the huge contraption creating the signal in the sky.

Father reaches the GCPD first, standing atop the building's rooftop entrance. There was a man there standing next to the signal, staring off into the distance with his back to Father. The man must've not noticed Father's presence. Father catches the man's attention startling him. They converse for a few seconds and Father jumps down from the elevated area. Once down Damian climbs up first onto the rooftop, with both men looking at him.

"Another one?" I hear the man say.

I run over to the building, climbing my way onto the raised area, and stand next to Damian.

"Two? One wasn't enough?" The Commissioner says jokingly

Oh. That's the man in the trenchcoat I saw earlier. Who knew that that old man is a Commissioner.

"I'll explain later," Father says.

Damian nudges my side and mouthes 'I win', and jumps off, walking over to the two men. I'll get him next time.

"How's Ubu doing," Father asks.

Damian and I walk over to Father, both of us standing in between them—me next to Father and Damian next to Gordon.

"He's in ICU, still under sedation. We searched his place, nothing much there. But we did find one interesting item." Gordon reaches into the inside of his coat pocket and pulls out a plastic bag with a napkin in it.

Once taken out, Damian quickly snatches the evidence out of Gordon's hand and checks it. I look over his shoulder looking at the piece of evidence, noticing that there are numbers written on it. It looks like someone's phone number. As Damian's looking at the evidence, I bend down to look at the underside and notice that there's something on the back too. But before I could distinguish what it is, Father snatches it out of Damian's hands.

"Hey," Damian and I complain.

Father looks at the side with the numbers. "Whose number is it?"

"It's a phone se—" Gordon abruptly stops and looks at us. "Uh, a phone chat line," he says choosing his words carefully, "but that's not the interesting part."