19. It Doesn't Have to Be Awkward

"Where the hell have you been?!" Narae screeches as you come into her line of sight.

"We were worried sick!" Johnny guffaws, acting just as deranged as the female sitting next to him on a bench.

"Up your ass and around the corner!" You laugh, stopping when you see the pair's unamused faces. "Alright, alright, I had business to attend to. And I was exploring things..."

      "With the guys?" Narae's eyebrow quirks in a questioning manner.

     "Maybe..."

     "Ugh, not them. They're such assholes... Who's the guys?" Johnny asks, causing you and Narae to bust out in laughter.

     "Bangtan."

     "Oh. Then I speak straight facts." Johnny's face is sour. You wonder why he's so against the thought of you dating them, but so what? You're an adult who makes adult decisions. Kind of. You almost set the house on fire yesterday while cooking macaroni-n-cheese, but that doesn't matter.

     "Don't you think it's about time we get to class?" You change the subject, looking at your watch.

     "Oh, yeah, I guess." Narae nods, her and Johnny hop off the bench, following as you start to walk towards the lecture room. "Oh, I meant to ask, what happened between you and Jae? He seemed kind of angry after your study date, but he's cooled off a lot. The project is due in a couple days, you know? Did you guys finish?" Narae's questions are nonstop.

      "Something went down. We're like 99% done, but if he worked on it at all, we should be done."

     "Mhm," Narae hums, walking into the room. You climb up to the seat you usually sit in, well, when you show up to class. There's Jae, focused on writing something down in a notebook. Wordlessly, you sit down between him and Narae, Johnny next to Narae and closest to the stairs.

     He looks at you for a second, and in that spilt second, you felt more awkward than ever before. "Hey, Jae," you try to start a conversation.

     "Hi." His answer is short, and quite blunt. It's quiet and monotone, not good signs.

     "Are you okay?" you ask, trying to ease the tension that builds up.

He huffs loudly, rolling his eyes. "I'm fantastic."

He gets up, taking heavy steps towards the teachers desk, then disappearing out of the room.

     "What was that about," Johnny asks, unaware of what went on between the two of you.

     "Nothing, he's just upset. I'll go talk to him."

     You venture down the stairs, politely asking to go to the restroom. Before the teacher even gives the okay, you're already walking out the door. Wandering through the halls, you take a turn down a hallway that never has any students, teachers, or staff for that matter. Walking past a door, you hear a resounding thud, startling you into hyper awareness. Slowly and quietly stepping up to the door, you peer in through a little glass window the door has.

     Inside, Jae is standing by an overturned desk, then moving to sit on the floor right beside it. Silently, you twist the door handle, trying not to cause too much noise as you pad towards the male. "Jae?"

     He flinches, his ears used to the silence that once surrounded him. He hums, not wanting to actually answer.

     "Listen, I know you might be angry-"

     "Angry? Angry?! Are you fucking kidding me?" He bellows, chest puffing up as he gets off the floor.

     "So I take that as a yes?" you try to ease into a comedic mood.