Our Begininning

Kira's P.O.V

"Roll out, donkeys!"

I let out a low sigh as I watch my cadets fail the simulation once again. Those aren't just my cadets though, they're my friends. Over the days of training them, I've grown to love them, even when they annoy me to death. Lance, tall and slim, always making us laugh in some way whether on purpose or not, even with that flirty attitude of his. Hunk, big and as well tall, gets nervous at times, but is very sweet, always thinking of his stomach first and the safety of others. And finally Pidge, short and skinny, very intelligent, always ready to solve some type of problem and creating new things every day. My cadets stand outside the simulator, heads lowered, getting yelled at by Commander Iverson, 'Oh boy', I thought, 'I am totally getting in trouble for this'. I hear other cadets call out the mistakes that were made by mine and oh gosh, and I thought it was worse seeing it happen. As I stand at one of the floors above, I hear other leadership whisper about my cadets and say how bad they felt for me to get these kids. I hated it so much, I didn't want their pity, I know my cadets made these mistakes and that's all on me, I am the one teaching them, I just need to work harder on this. I could feel my frustration turn into anger, something that didn't need at the moment, I let my balled-up hand release and let out a silent breath I held In.

I look back down and watch as Iverson lectures my cadets once again. "The Galaxy Garrison is here to turn young cadets like you into the next generation of elite astroexplores, but like these mental mistakes are exactly what costs the lives of the men on the Kerberos Mission", he stated, I stood in shock, ' How dare he say things like that, I thought he knew better than to say that when he knows those are nothing but lies!', I thought in my mind, but I knew better than to question my commander. Out of the blue, Pidge shouts, " That's not true sir!", of course, I would be proud, but this is not the best moment to revolt. I see Commander Iverson turn to Pidge and questions her, I grip the rail tightly and hold in my breath, still stunned from her outburst. I watch as Lance covers Pidge's anger calmly but of course, nervously, I let my grip loosen.  Iverson goes up to Lance and tells him something but to my dismay I can't hear what he speaks, but by Lance's expression, it does not seem good. Iverson then calls out for the next team to begin, my cadets look around and spot me, seeing them look down again in shame, I bare the same feeling as they do, but not to them but to myself. Iverson turns around and looks straight into my eyes, holding much irritation, he speaks to me in a loud booming voice, " Sergeant Lambert", I stand up straight as most of the people turn their eyes to me, " I want you at my office in one hour." I look back at him and bow my head just a little, " Yes, Commander ", I respond and turned around and walked out the room, preparing myself for the trouble up ahead.

1 hour later

I walk down the empty hallway and think about how will I respond to Iverson about this, well if only I knew what he is going to say. I reach the door and knock waiting for a response to enter. All I heard was a simple grunt and I knew he was talking to me to come in, I open the door and head over to his desk, I sit in the empty seat and wait for a response. But its just silence, he simply looks through some charts and catalogs, while I sit in total awkwardness. He finally puts them away and looks straight at me, I try to show no sign of fear to him, he pulls out other files but keeps them closed. "Ms. Lambert, it has come to my immediate attention that your cadets have not made any improvement in their collaboration with each other and have failed the simulation for the fifth time in a row. Why is this happening Ms. Lambert?" I sit there, not sure of what to explain, " Sir, I'm doing everything I can to instruct them but-", "But what, I've given you many opportunities to continue on with these cadets, I'm done hearing excuses!" I stood up from my chair, "Sir with all due respect I'm not trying to make excuses, it's just difficult for them at times with things and I'm trying to help them with problems that might get in their way and be able to handle all these new information being thrown at them.", he looks at me, then he looks down, thinking in his mind searching for something, he looks back up to me, " Kira, you are my best fighter and second-best pilot in this entire faculty, why do you put those things aside for these cadets who have proved no sign of improvement for the past few months and have been nothing but trouble for you." I stand there, awestruck, that is a question I usually ask myself, but hearing it from someone else was like seeing a whole new point of view, I closed my eyes, searching for an answer, "Sir the reason I'm so dedicated to teaching these cadets is that...they remind me of myself, my younger self, a time in my life when struggled so much. I wasn't perfect and I never will be, but seeing them for the first time...I thought I saw myself and I know it sounds crazy and all but it's the truth. And I want to help them grow, just like someone else did for me." I look up at him, he simply stares at me.

He lets out a sigh, and begins to speak, " Alright, I'll let you have another try at teaching these kids", I open my mouth to thank him, " but this will be the last chance you will have to teach them, next time we do the simulation and I see no signs in improvement, I will have no choice but to remove them from the Galaxy Garrison and for you, you will be put back to your regular station as a pilot, am I understood", he asserts. I stand there nervous, but determined, "I understand and thank you for this chance", he gives a small nod."Before you leave, I want to show a few other items and charts that I think are in your area of expertise." I nod my head and sit down, listening intently, but drifting off to ways to improve my cadets.

I exit the room tired from all that information,'Alright Kira, you have to do better if you want these kids to succeed, but how?' I let out a sigh and start to walk away, but I hear a shuffle of feet." Who's there", I say, I pull out my staff (FYI the staff is like a portable one like with a push of a button it's at full length and if you press it shortens, hope that makes sense), ready to strike, I walk closer to where the sound came, " Show yourself." I see two people slowly come out from behind the corner, I stand there surprised, seeing the duo were my own students, Lance and Hunk.

"What are you guys doing here, you know this area is for personal only", I whisper, trying not to call out any attention. They look at each other nervously, then back to me, " We know it's just that-", Hunk begins but then Lance interrupts, " Are we really going to be kicked out, " he stated sadly, seeming to already know the answer. I let out a sigh, recognizing the fact that they had eavesdropped on our conversation, " Yes", I state simply, they both look down, "but only if we do not improve, we're lucky we are getting another chance". They both look up with a smile, I return the gesture but get back to being serious, "We need to work harder, so don't start complaining about the work I'm going to give you guys, we need to work together as a team, so next time I hear arguing between you guys, it's going to be a hard workout." They nod their heads, "We won't let you down, Kira", Lance says with pride, Hunk agreeing." I know you won't, now come on we got to get out of here before you guys get in trouble", I say. We then start to walk out the hallway with new determination in our hearts.

Alright, chapter one is down, now onto number ✌️ see ya next time!