5

The short woman behind the Receptionist's desk gave me a warm, welcoming smile as she watched me approach her, "Hello, how can I help you?"

"I'm here for the interview with Mr. West" I hesitantly respond flashing a smile.

She nods, pulling her arms above the counter and types onto the computer while adjusting her glasses.

"Ah, Miss Evans, the noon appointment, of course," she says, moving to slide her finger against the many words lying onto the white sheet of paper beside her.

"I think it's great you've arrived 15 minutes early" she pauses, lowering her voice to a little above a whisper without moving her eyes from the paper as if she was pretending she was still looking for something.

"There were many women today, dying for this position mainly to catch a glimpse of Mr. West's face."

"When I noticed they all came out dissatisfied at different times. I realized West hadn't made it easy for them by the slight flaws they carried. Flaws as little as a smudge on their boots or coming in almost a minute late. He's insane" she was now speaking out the side of her mouth in an even lower tone sending chills through my veins.

"So that's why I think it's great you came at such a time. Also, the visible nervousness will be a disadvantage to you; Mr. West strives for confidence, not fear. I wish you good luck Evans," She says, removing her finger and going back to what she was doing before I arrived.

Her words were so rushed I practically found myself quieter than I'd ever been before; how hard was this West guy? Why we're all those women so excited to see his face? The last time I checked, he was a 69-year-old sweetheart who respected his employees.

I suspected that was primarily why my mom suggested the position to me; easy to get through a man that had significant advantages to his job-Why would I think to pass it up?

"You'll be notified when he's ready for you. You can take a seat over in the waiting area" she looks back up at me, putting back on her regular receptionist act while lifting her arm to point in the direction.  

I nod in return, hurrying over to the last empty seat, completely worried by her sudden change.

For what felt like an hour, I sat anxiously waiting to be called and get this over with, occasionally glancing at the clock watching as the minutes slowly go by. I know the receptionist told me that fear wouldn't help me get this job, but I couldn't help but feel uneasy from her unexpected warning.

If he'd decline people's request for this job so easily who knows what he'd do to me knowing I have little to no experience and I was acting like a newborn. Even though I worked hard to be exceptional for this, my mind was slowly being replaced and overcrowded by regrets and future judgemental remarks.

No. I can't think like that, I haven't even seen his face to be this frightened. I shouldn't be intimidated by the thought of him just because of some lady's opinion. This was my only shot that I was not about to lose.

For the remaining minutes, I let the scenery distract my mind. The place was impressive, the chairs were sorted nicely and had a pleasantly relaxing sight, and the actual leather feeling to the chair lived up to it.

I glanced back over at the clock before hearing the continuous clicking of heels against the floor. The clicking disturbance grew closer and I realized she wasn't just passing through the waiting area, she was coming to get someone.

My head shot her way, and her lips formed a smile while she held a clipboard in her clasp. I was one of the two people left in here but it was obvious she was coming for me since the other person was across the room. I stood up almost too fast, causing me to look even more foolish than before.

She spoke, but her words were inaudible; I didn't need to hear what she was saying to know the time was coming for Mr. West to be prepared for me. My mind was clouding with millions of ways I could mess up during this talk and be humiliated like the rest of the poor women before me.

Before I knew it, I approached the door that had the whole process behind it waiting to strike me. The door was slightly open with silence wavering inside, and the women still preferred to leave a soft knock.

"Come in" his voice was dark and smooth, not like the many male voices that I was used to being around. This propelled my bottom lip to slide through my slightly open mouth while the women slowly pushed the door open. Before enabling the door to open, all the way, she turned on her heels and left without saying a word leaving me to face this man; everyone is so frightened with him alone.

It felt like forever before the door finally opened and when it did I couldn't move my feet. I was too timid, and I didn't have shit to say to the man sitting a few feet in front of me.

"Close the door and take a seat in this chair," he takes the pen he had between his fingers and points to one of the two chairs in front of him without glancing in in my direction. He wasn't even the slightest bit interested. I can imagine him throwing me out in no time.

"Miss Evans?" He speaks in a questioning tone still focusing his sight on his paper in front of him.

This man was far from a 69 nine-year-old man. No wonder the women were so eager to be around this man, he had to be no older than 24 with muscles to die for, they weren't extremely big but they were visibly shown and swoonable. Charmingly dark brown hair to match his suit with a silver watch hugging his wrist. Without even seeing his face, I can see he is attractive.

"Yes" the mere crack in my voice caused him to look up from what he was doing.

He steadily scanned my form before finally resting his gaze on my face. The sight of his face caused my heart to practically sink to the bottom of my stomach. I could feel my cheeks heat up as my body hardens from the sudden reunion we were having.

"Before we begin, I want to confirm you are at least 18 years of age" he let those few words escape his lips without hesitation if I hadn't confessed my age drunkenly on the dance floor.

I know we both were undoubtedly drunk and out of it that night, but we shared a conversation and warm glances/smiles before we were even on the verge of buzzed. It looked as if I was the only one in the room to him, and now I was indeed the only one in the room, the same girl he left the bar with and the same girl he had sex with that night.

The mere look in his eyes says it all; he remembers every ounce of me, and I would never forget the way I wanted more of him when I stared into his green eyes and back at his pink vibrant lips.

"Yes I am"

Throughout the interview, he continued to ask me questions like What made you want to work for this company? Why should I hire you? And What are your weaknesses and strengths?

Everything was going well for me, but all I could think about was that I'd be working for a self-absorbed man that frightened lots of people and has sex with women accordingly; either he's remaining professional right now, or he is genuinely taking the-fuck then dip- seriously which I should be doing as well. How could I work suitably and help him with everything he needs without losing focus and becoming distracted at times from building attraction?

Before fully giving it thought, I stood up hastily and began heading for the door, I was so stuck in my invasive thoughts that I was doing something that I wouldn't even think to do if my mother was still alive. I was walking out on a potentially good interview to an extraordinary job over an uneasy conception.

"Is everything okay? Where are you going?" I could hear him standing to his feet, but all I did was clench my purse tightly over my shoulder and continue exciting the room.

This was chaotic and wrong on so many levels but I couldn't stop myself or stand to be here anymore. All I wanted was to be home in the comfort of my bed, away from all this.