14

My boot printed into the fresh 2 inches of snow as I walked towards the parking lot to Ethan's car. This was officially the first day it snowed, and I'd almost forgot we were already in the middle of December.

I'm not worried about the snow, though. It never really bothered me. The snow was always my haven; whenever I felt alone or in need of relaxation, the snow would welcome me into inches of pure beauty, and it never failed. Life had always been more peaceful this year-round. I felt as if I could think adequately and clear my mind with ease when the cool flakes would emerge into the world.

As I felt the cool breeze caress my frosty cheek, I let out a soft breath of air, scrunching up my nose as it began to burn from the low temperature. I pull my loose jacket over my nose to bring slight warmth to my body as I made it to the far parking lot.

I turn my head slowly, admiring the sight before me. The day would remain bright even after midnight, and it was oddly comforting. The snow always had a way of reeling me towards it around this time, even when I knew I was always the first to get sick in my home, and my mom would always get out of bed to make me a cup of hot ginger tea at 3 in the morning.

If only I could have one more of her famous ginger teas, they always sent a soothing feeling down my throat, and I'd feel better instantly like it was magic in a mug.

Once I reached the car, I propped my body on the seat, quickly closing the door and switching on the heat. As I wait for the car to adjust to the warmth, I pull my phone from my bag, only to be faced with the message from Kylo again.

I still hadn't responded, and it's been almost an entire day. I was tempted for hours on end at work, but my body couldn't push itself to it. Arden had to personally tell me to focus on the tedious paperwork because my eyes stayed glued to my phone, which he literally could have done it himself.

Sometimes I wonder what's the point of him having an assistant. He doesn't do anything at all, and he doesn't even take calls anymore. He sits there tapping his pen and calling me in to watch his office so he can leave the building for hours.

He doesn't even come back half the time, and I suddenly become the boss, like shouldn't there be anyone above me? I quickly shake my head, thinking back to the message.

Why exactly did Kylo want to speak to me? And how exactly did he get my number? I'm suddenly pulled from my thoughts when my phone vibrates.

Another message from Kylo.

I'm sorry I must have the wrong number.

Staring down at the new message before me, I hadn't realized I opened the text and never replied. I quickly reply to him, saying that it's me, and he responds within a minute. My eyes shoot open, and I stare down at my phone, trying to reread what he sent. He wants to meet up with me now.

Why would he want to meet up with me? We hadn't even known each other for longer than three months, and we were only 6 or 7. How did he even get my number? I barely remember saying goodbye to him.

Without hesitation, I send him an on my way message as I pull out of the parking lot and onto the busy icy road.

The entire ride there, I contemplated why he wanted to see me and how I'd react.
What if he dug up some dirt on me, Or what if he finds out I was the one who drunk the rest of his drink that one movie night.
What if he found out that I farted in middle school and blamed it on Kelli.

"Wait, that's not even possible," I laugh to myself, shaking my head as I pull into Java Peak, my local café.

I need to stop always overthinking things; it just makes everything worse and triggers my anxiety. Maybe he wants to talk or catch up with you Mia, nothing too serious.