15

"I'm not surprised; what's not to love?" Kelli says as she flips her ponytail behind her shoulder.

I choke on my water eyeballing her confidence, "everything," I joke.

Kelli rolls her eyes, not bothering to look my way, "Fuck you, when did you become such a hater?"

She turns her gaze towards me with her arms folded, causing me to laugh through the mirror. It just so happened to have come up, but I told Kelli what Kylo had said about their encounter, and she wasn't surprised. I swear she is very vain, but that's what I love about her, she's always there to boost someone's confidence because she never has to worry about hers.

I close my bottle of water and turn in my chair to meet her gaze, "No hate, I've always spoken facts."

She laughs and chucks a pillow in my direction, and it quickly collides with my face causing me to close my eyes and wince from the pain.

"Kelli!" I shout, throwing it back at her.

She moves to the side, dodging the pillow, and laughs, "oh, quit being such a wuss, it's just a pillow."

"Yeah, a decorative pillow that isn't soft, you should have noticed it's much heavier than the others, and it wasn't even on the bed," I cry, still rubbing my sensitive nose.

She continues to laugh as she puts it back down on my window seal, "I'm so sorry," she pouts, mocking my expression.

I pull my hand from my nose, eager to finish getting ready so I can clear my mind of everything that's been bothering me lately.

Over the past months since my parent's and younger sister's death, I've been coping better than I thought I would. I overcame my unhealthy sleeping habits and my urge to have sex suddenly, which was weird, to begin with since I've never had any problems with my sexual desires as a teen.
I haven't even thought to have sex with my ex, who was my first ever boyfriend.

Lately, things have been different; Kelli, Kylo, and I have become much closer these last two weeks, and things are already how I've always wanted things to be with them, and it couldn't be better.

The only problem is, Kylo constantly brings up how much he misses my family and how he wishes to reconnect with everyone. Still, I hadn't told him about my family's current situation. That the only ones still alive are my brother and me, and we're barely holding on with our daily lives.

He thinks I moved out with Ethan, and They've been busy, so they don't have enough time for visits, I wish that were true, but it's only a matter of time that I let him know.

I shake my head, thinking back to now,
"I haven't found anything to wear to the party. Are you going with me or not?"

Kelli quirks a brow and smirks my way, "Why are you going to your boss's party anyways? You got like a crush on him or something?"

My cheeks began to burn at the sound of Kelli's words, and I turn back towards the mirror, hiding my face.

"Oh fuck- no way" Kelli jumps to her feet, eyeballing me through the mirror as her mouth hangs low.

I roll my eyes, utterly flustered as I pull my lengthy hair into a ponytail. I throw on a headband pushing back the tiny stubborn hairs while continuing to watch Kelli's drooping jaw.

"No, it's not like that; it's a party honoring his third year in the business. He says he does it every year" I defend myself as I stare in the mirror.

"But it's not like it's a requirement. He has millions of people showing up. I'm sure you missing it-won't change a thing," Kelli says, leaning back down to tie her shoes.

I'd hate to admit it, but Kelli is right. He probably won't even recognize I'm not there if I don't show, but I can't do that. He is a bit annoying with his absences, but he's a great boss, It won't hurt me to show up to one New Years' party, plus I might enjoy myself.

"Kelli, you don't have to come," I say as I watch her ponytail fall over her face while she bends over.

She suddenly tilts her head back up and laughs, "No bitch I'm going; I just want you to admit your love for him."

"Plus, I want to meet some hot guys."

I watch as her index fingers slip into her mouth while her face forms a flirtatious grin causing me to roll my eyes and smile softly.

"I don't know why you aren't hooking up with Kylo. He's way hotter," Kelli says, and I turn around to watch her expression.

"Way hotter than who?" I turn my head in the direction of the voice, and I see Kylo slid his body smoothly into the window.

"Her boss," she responds, and I shake my head as he closes the window.

"Kylo's like a brother to me. I wouldn't dare," I say as I fold my arms over my chest.

"Ouch," Kylo says, holding his chest as he walks over to me.

He props his shoulder against my desk and locks his eyes with mine, "Like a brother?" His hand still rests against his chest as his voice darkens while he hurries in.

I instantly feel my breath hitch in my thought from the closeness, "yes," I say as I push him slightly to the side to look at Kelli, "Why don't you?" I retort.

"Not my type, I like older men. Like your brother," Kelli shrugs, wiggling her eyebrows.

"You're kidding me," I laugh, and she shrugs her shoulders as her cheeks change to a bright red. She rarely blushes, so for her to be blushing now- she must have a thing for him.

"When? Why? How?" This is so sudden that I can't even ask the actual questions that are suddenly roaming around my head.

"I mean, it's kinda obvious. I can never keep my cool when he's around," Kelli says.

I mean, I can't say I haven't thought of it, Kelli does seem to become still or act differently when Ethan decides to hang, but I would never have thought to put it into a proper perspective.

"And out of all the years I've known him, you've got to admit he's pretty hot now," she laughs, and I mentally gag.

"Did you forget he's my brother?" I say, standing to my feet.

"Did you forget we were going for a run? You said you'd be ready in an hour, but it's been two," Kylo says, closing his phone and pulling his body off my bed.

I take a deep breath and nod.

"we're ready now," Kelli says, and we head outside.