Chapter 11 ~ Comfort

Okay so this gets a little bit angsty but i meant it more to be a big moment where the two characters open up to each other and reach a new level in their relationship. If some of you don't enjoy angst I will put the part in italics but I do recommend the read because it's a big part of the story in my mind. I hope you guys enjoy this chapter! Thank you ❤️
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mei POV
Once we all finished eating everyone began mingling. The kids were all playing and our moms were talking. "Seems like everyone's getting along" I nodded in agreement. "Wanna go for a walk?" Kirishima nodded. I yelled over to my mom "me and Kirishima are going over to the pond, is that okay?" They both nodded "just make sure you're back in about an hour Eijirou! We'll have to leave then." This coming from his mom, "alright!"

"So a pond?" Kirishima asked me as we began walking. "Yeah! It's where I like to go if I need some alone time or if I'm studying, it's also super pretty at night, there's a lot of fire flies and the moon hits the water for a perfect clear reflection." Kirishima looked at me and smiled, "like something out of a movie" "exactly". We walked in silence the rest of the way, after making our way through some thick trees and bushes we finally made it. "Well we're here!"
(It's not exactly what I had in mind but it's the closest thing to it)

 "Well we're here!" (It's not exactly what I had in mind but it's the closest thing to it)

Kirishima's eyes lit up at the sight of it. "Wow, this is beautiful Mei" I smiled, "I know right. I love to go swimming here too, but it's probably really cold right now" Kirishima walked over to the water and dipped his finger in, "its actually not that bad at all" I shrugged "well we didn't bring bathing suits", Kirishima shrugged back as he looked in the water, "so" I paused, "so? What, we'll just go in our underwear?" I laughed, he blushed but continued, "well if we don't think of it as underwear it's basically a bathing suit" I blushed back, "I mean, yeah I guess". Kirishima smirked, "well okay then!" He quickly pulled off his shirt and began to unbuckle his pants, "w-wait wait!!" I said as he pulled his pants all the way off and i turned away. "O-oh right sorry! I'll get in now" I heard him jump into the pond before I turned around. He floated back up and gasped for air, he looked so cute with his hair down. I blushed, "well are you coming in?" I furrowed my brows, "well yeah but you gotta look away!" He raised his eyebrows, "oh yeah right!". He spun around facing away and covered his eyes. I quickly undressed into my bra and panties then jumped into the pond. I floated up and gasped for air, "Kirishima you liar! It's freezing!" I yelled as I wiped water from my eyes. He laughed "oh come ooon it's not that bad". I pouted my lip at him but smiled because his smile was so contagious. "It really is pretty tonight though" I nodded as we both looked up at the moon. We swam around a bit before we got out of the water and changed back into our clothes, without our underwear obviously. I had brought a couple blankets so I sat one down on the ground for us to sit. I looked at Kiri who was looking at all the fire flies, "Kirishima, is it alright if I asked you something?" He looked at me and nodded, "why is it that you have red hair but no one else in your family does? Unless your dad does, I haven't met him yet" Kirishima shook his head, no my dad doesn't have red hair either. Red isn't my natural colour, it's black" I tried to imagine him with black hair, "why'd you dye it?" Kirishima sighed, "well to sum it up, back in middle school I started to really doubt my future as a hero, I was scared to put my life on the line for others when they really needed it. I really wanted to become a hero though, so I decided to change my look and personality, become a completely new guy." It was silent for a second while I processed everything, "wow, your such a confident guy I would've never guessed that you were like that in the past" Kirishima lowered his head a bit, "it's not a bad thing though, fear is needed in our lives, it helps us become stronger and you were able to overcome your fears and change for the better right?" Kirishima smiled, "yeah I guess you're right, I do feel more confident in myself" I smiled back before looking out into the water. Kirishima looked at my for a few seconds, "is it alright if I ask you something Mei?" I looked and nodded, "shoot". He paused for a second before asking "has something been bothering you lately? I don't mean to pry but I've just been getting a kind of vibe from you that something isn't quite right" I was silent for a moment and stared at him then smiled, "it's just exams! I'm worried about the exams is all" I looked back out into the water "everyone is stressing out about the exams, something feels different about you though. You don't have to tell me anything but I'm here to talk to you if you need me"

We were in complete silence for a few minutes, nothing but the croaks of some bullfrogs. "It's my mom..." Kirishima looked at me as I continued, "she's not telling me anything but I can tell that the medication isn't working, she's been getting weaker and taking more naps. I hugged her the other day and I could tell she had lost a lot of weight in only a few days" my eyes began to tear up. "Mei..." I sniffled, "I hate that she doesn't tell me anything, I want to help her as much as I can but I can't if she's keeping her real condition a secret from me and yui" I covered my mouth with my hands and began to sob uncontrollably. Kirishima quickly wrapped his arms around me pulling me close so that he was cradling me. He placed a hand on my lower back and his other hand on the back of my head, my face in his neck. "Just take deep breathes Mei, but let all of it out. You're okay, you're with me". I continued crying, tears streaming down my cheeks and onto Kirishima's chest. "I don't know what I'll do if I lose her Kiri, I can't take care of Yui on my own, I'll have no where to live" he placed his chin on my head, "shh don't think about that right now, you still have her here and you have to enjoy every minute of it, focus on that, she's still with you..." I slowly stopped crying and began to calm down, Kirishima was softly stroking my back which helped me calm down and is warmth made me feel safe. Suddenly I felt a tear fall from above me and onto my arm, I pushed myself back and looked up at Kirishima who quickly tried to wipe away another tear from falling, "no no no why are you crying?" I asked as I grabbed his face in my hands and gently wiped another tear with my thumb. "I hate to see you going through all this, you and your family don't deserve it" he sniffled, "you won't be alone Mei I promise you that" I smiled and gave him a kiss on the forehead before pulling him in a tight hug, "thank you"

We walked home from the pond hand in hand, consoling each other before Kirishima had to go back home. I said goodbye to his family then to him. I grabbed his hands, "thank you again" he shook his head, "it's no problem at all, now get a good sleep and I'll see you tomorrow" I nodded then headed into my house. "Well that was a lovely evening wasn't it-" I cut my mom off with a big hug. "It was, I'm going to go to bed now, I love you" she hugged me back, "I love you too baby"

The next few days went by quick and before we knew it, it was time for the final exams. Everyone was on edge but it was reasonable. There were two parts to the exam, the written portion and then the physical portion.

"So tomorrow is the big exams! You nervous?" My mom asked as she sliced up some potatoes. Lost in thought about the exams I ignored her. "Hun? Mei?" I continued to set the table. I felt a hand on my shoulder and jumped. My mom laughed, "I'll take that as a yes" I looked at her confused, "I was wondering if you were nervous for your exams for tomorrow. But the look on your face gives me a yes" she chuckled as she walked back to her potatoes. I sighed, "yeah I'm pretty nervous, I have to pass these exams! I got recommended by All Might himself! You know how bad that would lo-" I was cut off by a yelp coming from my mom as she clutched her finger in her hand. I rushed over to her, "oh my god, mom are you okay?" She nodded, "y-yeah just sliced my finger a bit." I ran to the bathroom and got a bandaid and wrapped it around her finger. "Hey how about I finish making dinner, you go rest" she shook her head, "no hun I'm fine" she went to grab the knife again, but I grabbed her hand. "Mom, please". It was silent for a moment until my mom let out a sigh, "okay" she said as she turned towards the living room. I smiled but as she walked away that quickly turned to a frown. I continued cutting the potatoes but felt tears forming in my eyes.

'I'm worried about her'.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh my goooosh I'm so sorry this took forever to come out. This chapter was a bit personal for me and I WISH I had someone like Kiri to vent to about my loss. But I hope you all enjoy this chapter. The next one will be pretty short, I'm just gonna run through the exams and then we can get into the good stuff. 😋