Chapter 6: Low and Heavy Growl

'Ten o'clock .'

I smirked down at the text.

'Don't be late.' I replied.

The phone binged again, I smiled down at the text, 'I wouldn't dream of it.'

Putting the phone on the bed, I hurried down the stairs and to the table, pulling a seat out and sitting in the chair.

I noticed two other chairs pulled up as well, "Guests?" I asked mom who gave a nod, "Mr. Coleson and Damien." She said gesturing for me to help her bring the rest of the dinner to the table.

The door opened and I heard the paws clack over the floor while Mr. Coleson came in after Cerberus.

Placing the plate of rolls onto the table, I stared up at the dog who sat well behaved by the doorway.

Mom looked to the dog and watched it carefully, "He'll be joining?" She asked a bit bothered but trying to hide it.

Damien stared at the dog and gave a single nod, "He goes everywhere I do, if you'd prefer him outside I can place him outside. He's very well behaved though." He said to mom who smiled and shook her head, "It's okay, as long as he doesn't jump on the table." She said politely.

I watched Damien give a nod and Mr. Coleson took the seat beside mine. Damien sat across from me, beside Donna.

The dog laid on the floor by the door and stayed quiet watching me carefully.

I took Mr. Colesons hand and Dads hand, while we did our prayers, thanking God for the food before us.

When we all finished with an Amen, we began serving ourselves and I took the steak, feeling sad for Cerbs.

Poor guy.

I cut the bone off my steak and left some meat on it, pushing it aside while I ate.

"Your dog is a support dog?" Mom asked Damien who gave a single nod, "Service dog, but yeah he supports me. I've had him since...forever." He said staring back at Cerbs who watched us bored.

Mr. Coleson struggled with cutting his steak and I moved my plate aside and carefully took his, cutting the steak into bite sized pieces before handing it back to him.

He gave me a kind smile and thanked me, blaming it on his arthritis. But the fact was, he was cutting the steak with the knife upside down. He probably forgot how to use a knife.

I gave a nod and focused back on my dinner, "I've come to the conclusion that you aren't the devils son." Donna said bluntly.

Wow, great way to break the ice.

He cocked an eyebrow at her and she placed her fork down, "You're able to enter a church, you pray, you have a dog, and you take care of your grandfather. Plus you're normal looking." She said to him like she was convincing him.

Damien took a bite of his steak and then nodded, "All of that sounded like plausible reasons, except that even the devil has a dog." He replied.

Donna went to comment and I spoke up "Cerberus, the three headed hellhound who guards the gates of hell." I said staring at Cerbs who lifted his head at the sound of his name.

Mom eyed Cerberus, "Why would you name your dog after that beast?" She asked slowly putting a fork full of mashed potatoes in her mouth.

He shrugged, "I just figured with my name, it would be a bit amusing." He grinned softly and I couldn't help but smirk finding it comical.

Mom shuttered and Dad nodded, "Well you definitely got people's attention with that." He said a bit disappointed.

Mr. Coleson laughed and nodded, "A bit like Hotdog. He's definitely got his grandmothers sense of humor." He said proudly.