5. Bad Encounters

It wasn't until the next day, that I got a text from Justin. I was sitting beside my dad, at the kitchen table when my phone buzzed in my pocket. "Who is it?" He asked, eating a piece of watermelon he had just cut up.

I took it from my pocket and checked. It was an unfamiliar number, but I had a clue on who it was. "It's my friend," I said, opening up the text message.

"From: unknown
Hey gorgeous :)"

I smiled foolishly at the screen, making my dad give me a weird look. "Why're you smiling like that?" I ignored him and wrote a reply.

"To: unknown
Wait, who's this?"

"From: unknown
The guy that asked for your number in the bestest way yesterday"

"To: unknown
waiter from the random booth *heart eye emoji*"

I knew who it was.

"From: unknown
Ha ha, very funny"

"To: Justin
Just kidding lmao geez, so jealous!"

"Faith," my dad said. I looked up from my phone screen. "Are you listening to me?" I shook my head. "I said, what do you think of me bringing Jen over for dinner tonight."

"Do you hear yourself? What kind of question is that?" I looked at him as if he'd gone crazy.

"I was expecting that," he mumbled.

"I mean I don't care, but don't be surprised if I eat in my room or I'm not home." I turned my attention back to my phone.

"From: Justin
what're you doing today?"

"To: Justin
What's your sister doing? I haven't hung out with her. I owe her one, sorry<3"

"From: Justin
she is actually available today, ask her"

"I have plans, actually," I said to my dad.

"What plans?"

"I'm going out with the friend I told you about."

"You can't trust people, Faith," he started.

"Dad, can you let me have a little fun without being so negative. I'm picking her up and we're going out, that's that." I took a piece of pineapple that was mixed in the bowl, and scurried up to my room.

I turned on my computer and logged into twitter. I DMed Jazmyn and asked her if she was free. Just like her brother had said, she was. Since I was already dressed, I only had my bag to grab, before leaving the house.

About 35 minutes later, I pulled up at the now familiar green and white two story house. I parked my car and walked up the porch, to the front door. Before I knocked, it was opened by a middle aged woman.

"Oh, you must be Faith," she smiled, "hi, I'm Jazmyn's mother, Pattie."

"Nice to meet you Pattie." I moved my sunglasses from my eyes to the top of my head.

Behind her, I can see Jazmyn running to the door, "Mom, bye." She shooed her away.

Her mom looked appalled, "That is no way to speak to me. I have to make sure you're leaving in good hands. Your other friends are junk."

I can tell Jazmyn was growing irritated, "Okay, you met her. You can go back inside and join Justin who's looking out of the blinds."

I looked to the side and saw the blinds moving, causing me to laugh a little. "Don't worry, Ms. Pattie, your daughter is in very good hands. My dad's really strict about my friends, also."