VII.

Aaliyah

"We should totally skip today

"We should totally skip today.." Rue spoke mid yawn as she stood beside me while I opened my locker.

I laughed in denial, "No chance. Beyoncé would rip my head off my shoulders."

She let out a huff and pulled her drawstring hood tighter to decompress her curls. "I'm so over this day already, need to smoke and get the hell out of here."

"But you already smoked this morning in the car.."

"Yeah but I didn't finish it." She shrugged nonchalantly.

I rolled my eyes while closing my locker shut, "You're a hot mess. Let's go.." I hoisted my book bag over my left shoulder and locked arms with Rue with my right.

"Ooo the lovebirds are out today!" Some jerk called out.

"Suck a fat dick, Jason." Rue shouted, her response causing the whole hallway of students to gasp. They then laughed at him and his face turned bright red with embarrassment. All I could do was shake my head and I intentionally started to drop my arm from her grasp. She grabbed it back with quickness and pulled me closer toward her.

"Don't let those assholes get to you.."

"I'm not, just wish they'd mind their business sometimes."

"It's high school, not everyone is as mature as you are."

I nodded my head in agreement and we made a sharp right turn down another hallway to our first period class of Modern History. We retreated to our seats in the middle and Rue propped her feet up on my desk as usual.

"I want Freddy's for lunch.. you down?" She asked in my direction. I remembered the money my mom had given me earlier and I definitely wouldn't opposed a good burger and fries.

I shrugged my shoulders, "Yeah, I'm down." As we sat on our phones, the rest of our classmates began to pile in and take their seats.

"Hey Aaliyah.." I heard in a close proximity to my ear. I looked up and saw Sidney glancing back at me.