X.

Beyoncé

Since shopping took longer than expected, I didn't bother to change clothes on my way to pick up Aaliyah. I cruised down the expressway with my windows cracked just a tad and allowed the warm sunset and sounds of Snoh Aalegra's I Want You Around to place me the best mood. It's crazy how I wished that time with Jay never had to end, or that I didn't have to snap back into my real reality and face the pain of not living my life the way it was meant to be. I no longer wanted to be tied to an unhappy in marriage, or continue to wonder if I'm doing a great job as a pending-single mother. But most of all, I no longer wanted to continue to hurt the man I think I may be falling in love with. .. In love, it's been so hard for me to admit it, but it's just something about the way Jay makes me feel that lured me in and admit this feeling on our arrival of 5 months .. sometimes I wonder am I moving too fast?

Letting out a sigh of relief to quiet my thoughts, I slowed down to merge and make it off the right exit. After a few more turns, I was pulling into my mother's driveway. As my lights reflected in the window, I spotted a hand and eyes poke through the blinds to see who it was. Before I had a chance to lock my door, my baby girl ran into my arms.

"Hey Liyah! You ready to go?" She didn't bother to let me go but managed to say yes as we walked back into my mother's house. She quickly grabbed her bag and placed it in the car while I went to say goodbye to my mom.

"We're leaving.." I spoke as she sat at the kitchen counter stirring her nightly cup of tea.

"Ok baby, you know she was a joy to have." She mentioned out of pure love.

"As always. But thanks, ma. I really appreciate it."

She shooed me away, "Beyoncé you don't have to thank me. You work hard for your daughter so let me help you rest .. and do other things."

I rolled my eyes but still gave her a hug and kiss goodbye. "Bye momma. I love you."

"Giselle wait." She halted my steps and I cringed at the use of my middle name, in which she only mouthed in serious situations. "I want us to do dinner sometime this week. Just you & me, no Aaliyah. I want us to talk. You hear me?"

"Yes ma'am."

"Good. Let me walk you out.."

We shared another loving hug before I got situation in the car with Aaliyah by my side.

"So did you really have fun or was that a lie?" I asked, causing Aaliyah to laugh.

"No ma, I actually do have a great time with grandma. I mean ever since things went crazy in the house, I found that being with her is very soothing .. sort of like how it feels when it's just you and me." She rambled. I quickly glanced her way and saw her staring at me with cloudy eyes; my poor baby..

As we made it to a stop light, I quickly reached over and held her tight in my arms, "I promise I'll make this better for you, Aaliyah. Promise me that you'll trust me through this, okay? I love you so much."

She smiled through her tiny tears, "I promise."

I put my eyes back on the round and got us home safe and sound. The emptiness felt different this time and I couldn't help but sense that a big change was approaching us all. Moreover, I needed to start looking for a new place for Aaliyah and I that is still within a proper distance of her high school.

"Oo mom what did you get!?" She asked in amusement while looking at the various bags filled with designer boxes.

"A few things, nothing major." I downplayed.