XIV.

Beyoncé

I hated the feeling of saying goodbye, especially to someone who I truly adored. Dressed only in his "3" white tee with my messy bun, I watched Jay pack up his belongings for the flight home in about three hours.

The rest of our week together was more than I could imagine. Not only did we stimulate each other sexually, but we also managed to connect on a more deep and spiritual level. Jay was a man full of wisdom and intellect that I got chills every night we sat out on the patio and let our words flow in a unrehearsed manner.

"Aye, stop looking like that.. you're making it harder." He said, now standing tall in front of me. I titled my head back to lock eyes and he puckered my lips for a kiss. "This is not goodbye, you'll be home before you know it."

"I know, but you won't be here with me." I said with a pout.

"I promise I'll have a surprise waiting for you as soon as you land, but just know I thoroughly enjoyed every second with you. I think this was something we definitely needed."

I couldn't help but agree since this time alone did give me insight to how we would manage our partnership for the future. Yet I knew this wouldn't be a dream come true if I didn't do my part and tell the damn truth.

"The car is here." He said, breaking my train of thought. He grabbed his bags and we walked hand and hand to the front driveway.

"You swear you can't stay any longer?" I questioned.

Jay let our a soft chuckle, "You know I would if the opportunity presented itself, but I gotta head home.. I heard shit was getting pretty outta hand with my absence."

I frowned, "Jay please be safe. The last thing I want is someone telling me that you're gone."

We shared a loving kiss followed by an even better hug; "Don't you worry bout me, baby.. I'll call you every second I can. Now go on and fuck this conference up, Doctor Knowles."

I smiled wide and tried to stop the phrase of I love you to leave my lips. We said our goodbyes once more and I watched him get settled inside the car before driving off toward the airport. Now with him gone and my medical conference beginning tomorrow, I was able to focus on my lesson plans for the week. In the midst of review, my phone rang and I immediately accepted my daughter's FaceTime call, eager to see her beautiful face. Yet what I saw on the other side placed an immense panic within my heart.

***

Aaliyah

It wasn't suppose to happen like this

It wasn't suppose to happen like this. I wasn't suppose to find my best friend aspirating on her own throw up at the entrance of her bedroom.

If I didn't trust my gut to come see her, she'd be dead .. a situation I don't think I'd be able to cope with. The past week for us was breeze, we went to school everyday and watched movies every night, so I had no inclination that things would get this bad. Rue's bubbly behavior eased the anger I felt toward my mom leaving and we fulfilled our time together in her cozy room. But in this moment, I understood that things were bound to get worse since the anniversary of her father's death was today, yet I wish I knew better, asked more questions, and intervened sooner to avoid this possibility.