XXXI.

Beyoncé - 3 Weeks Later

The sound of the morning news in the background caused me to stir in my sleep

The sound of the morning news in the background caused me to stir in my sleep. I had finally found a comfortable position on my side and was angry that my peaceful sleep couldn't last forever. After rubbing the coal out of my eyes, I peaked my head up a bit to scan the spacious prenatal room and felt pleased when I saw Jay by my side. He was resting on the pull out couch dressed in all black sweats that were covered by thousands of blankets, since he claimed I kept the room "too cold." But besides that, we both kept our complaints to a minimum since staying in the hospital was now our new normal. After my eclampsic episode the night of my shower, Brooke placed me on strict bed rest since my water had broke prematurely; ultimately placing my twins in great danger along with the high possibility of being born before their full development. I feared that that day wouldn't end in a disaster, but I also had to understand that I was never guaranteed to carry full term. If it was meant to be for my boys to come then I had to naturally allow the process to occur.

"Baby," I said loud enough for him to hear me.

"Wassup?" He asked right away before poking his head out from under the covers.

"I need help turning onto my back."

With no hesitation, Jay stood to his feet and removed some the pillows that were behind me to make the transition much easier. Next, I grabbed ahold of his hands and slowly positioned myself correctly before raising the head of the bed up so that I would be able to breathe easier.

"Thank you, my love."

"Not a problem. Were you able to get some rest?"

"Definitely not, but I'm not exhausted. I'm just hoping that today we'll get some answers about when I'll deliver." I pondered. Since I was now 37 weeks, Brooke predicted that my labor and such would begin either today or tomorrow, and that we should brace ourselves for any possible emergency situation.

"Me too," Jay replied. "But I don't want them to have any serious complications by being born too early."

"As do I, but we've already discussed this. All we can do is pray that everything will turn out just fine; I trust that we're safe in Brooke's care." I encouraged, even though I was a nervous wreck myself.

"Hello, hello!" We heard from the doorway. Soon enough, Brooke came to the light and held a bright smile before thoroughly washing her hands. She then made her way to the foot of bed and prepped me for a quick vaginal exam to see if I had dilated within the pass 24 hours.

"You've made it to three centimeters! I have a plan in mind but let's visualize the twins first on ultrasound to make sure everything is fine." She commented.

While she removed the bands that transmitted the sound of their heartbeats, Jay softly gripped my hand and stroked it gently to calm my nerves. Like usual, the gel caused me to slightly shiver as it was spread across my abdomen, and shortly after my boys were present on the screen. I couldn't thank no one but God that they were still active and in the proper head-down position to make their exit. However, I was aware that one twin wasn't doing as well as the other, and would possibly take longer to adjust once I gave birth.