Chapter 7 - Alcide

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
― Anton Chekhov

~Alcide's POV~

11:00
The first thing I noticed was pain.

My whole body felt like it had been hit by a train. I wanted to open my eyes, see where I was and what was going on but I couldn't. I tried to get a feel of my surroundings but nothing was coming to me. I wanted to scream, shout, anything but my body wouldn't respond to what I wanted. I was surrounded in darkness. There was a ringing in my ears and a pounding in my head. I tried to reach out for Milly but my brain felt like it had a pulse and I had no strength to do anything but lie here. I tried again to open my eyes, move my body; anything. But I just couldn't move. Focusing and thinking about it was hurting my head even more. I felt all out of sorts. None of my senses were working, everything just being consumed by this pain.

I can't just lie here; I need to do something.

I suddenly had an idea. I can heal wolves that have been injured by other wolves, does that mean I can heal myself? It took a lot of concentration, making my head spin but I started off with trying to feel my toes. Everything from the waist down felt almost tingly and at the same time felt heavy like they were trapped under something. The longer I felt around my body the more I realised just how broken I was. Seven of my ribs were broken with another three cracked. Two difference places in my spine were broken as well. If I was able to move right now, I would be shaking. I have a broken back? Can I even walk again?

I tried not to panic and moved all my focus to my spine. It was a straight break at least but that didn't mean there was unrepairable damage done to my nervous system. I concentrated on knitting together all the chords and torn muscles. The more I worked on my back the more feeling I was getting back in my legs. The heavy feeling was easing and the tingles were stronger as the blood flow was going back to normal. I felt my chest sigh deeply, the first thing I was able to do to prove I wasn't dead.

Time didn't exist right now. I had no idea how long I was like this or how long it's taken me to slowly sow myself back together. It could have been minutes; it could have been days. Slowly as I was healing myself my other senses were coming to life and my brain was starting to function like normal. I felt for my mate link with Milly. It was fuzzy but it was there. I sighed in relief. She's still alive. I couldn't tell if it was fuzzy because of my broken body or because something had happened to her. I tried to calm myself down, thinking about her being hurt isn't going to help anyone right now. She's still alive and that's the main thing.

After god knows how long, I tried to move my arms and legs and found that I could. I slowly opened my eyes, squinting at the blinding sunlight. I looked around trying to get my bearings straight. I was led on cold hard floor. I slowly sat up and took in the view around me. There were dead bodies everywhere, wolves and people. Some I recognised, most I didn't. I checked my body once more before trying to stand up. I was back in my human form so I needed to find some pants and quick. There was a slight breeze and I didn't fancy my manhood shriveling up.

There was a dead guy a few meters from me that had baggy trackies on so I decided they would have to do. I took slow steps over to him, the sharp pain in my back and shooting down my legs eased with every step.

"Sorry buddy." I said out loud before taking his clothes. They were a little short in the leg so I rolled them up to my knees. I stood still and opened up all my senses.

Where was everyone?

Milly? Where are you?

I could feel panic rise up within me. Where was Milly? I looked around but no one here was moving. I closed my eyes and tried opening my senses again. My head was still too foggy so I couldn't hear much of anything. I clenched my fists by my sides trying to calm down. Getting angry isn't going to solve anything. It isn't going to bring Milly back and it isn't going to help anyone if I can't keep my head clear and focused. To be a good Alpha, I need to stay focused.