Chapter 11 - Brad

We ran as if to meet the moon. ― Robert Frost

~Brad's POV~

09:30
The three of us stood there with our jaws hitting the floor.

"I-I'm sorry?" Alcide stammered.

"Yes dear." Miriam... Milly's grandmother replied.

"You're Milly's grandmother?" He reiterated.

"On her mother's side." She said with a slight nod. Alcide sat down in his seat with a heavy sigh. Lucy and I just stood next to him not moving or saying anything.

"I wasn't aware Milly had any grandparents." Alcide muttered.

Neither was I.

"Why of course she has grandparents, how else were her mother and father born?" She said with a roll of her eyes. I had to cough back a laugh. Looks like the dry sense of humour runs in the family.

"Th - that's not what I meant. I meant I didn't know she had any grandparents still alive." I wish I could see Alcide's face to see how flustered that comment made him.

"Oh, I know dear, I was only teasing." Miriam smiled cheekily, her eyes glowing in the light. We had only met her five minutes ago but she was slowly starting to become one of my all-time favourite people.

"Pardon the bluntness Miriam, but what brings you here?" Alcide lent forward, resting his elbows on the desk and linking his hands.

"There is a war of sorts going on, isn't there? Well, we're here to help."

"Help... How?" Miriam breathed out a heavy sigh.

"Well, I guess I should start from the beginning." She looked over at Lucy and I standing behind Alcide. "Why don't you two sit down? This may take some time." We walked over to the sofa at the side of Alcide's office. Miriam shuffled in her seat, angling herself so she could see all of us better. "As you know, we are from the blue wolf blood line and Milly is currently the blue wolf. The last blue wolf to exist before her, was my mother."

"I thought the last blue wolf was a few hundred years ago?" Alcide asked.

"No dear. They re-wrote the history books. We had to make sure no one found the blue wolf blood line. If we said it was a few hundred years ago, it would have been harder to track instead of Milly's great grandmother."

"Makes sense. Please, continue." Alcide gestured with his hand.

"I only have a few memories of my mother as she died when I was very young. I have come here to tell you that, that is the fate of all blue wolves."

"What?" Alcide whispered. The colour drained from his face. I felt my blood run cold. What does she mean?

"Sadly, to be a blue wolf means they have to die young. If Milly is to win this fight, the only way she can do so, is by dying."

"No. I won't stand for it!" Alcide shouted, slamming his fist on the table and standing up. I clenched my fists together, breathing heavy through my nose to try to calm down. Milly's not dying. Not today, not tomorrow, not ever if I can help it. Lucy wrapped her arm around me to try and calm me down. It worked a bit, but not much.

"Calm down child, I haven't finished." She gazed up at him, making eye contact, challenging his wolf. I could see the internal struggle between the Alpha in him wanting to assert dominance and wanting to shut up and listen to what she had to say. It took a minute, but he eventually sighed before sitting back down.

"Anyway, as I was saying. In order to win the blue wolf has to die, however this time there is a possibility that things might end up differently." She motioned for Alan to go over to her. He reached into his inside coat pocket and pulled out a thick book before moving to the back of the room. The books cover was made out of leather and it had a leather string wound around it to keep it closed. "This here is almost a diary of sorts past down from blue wolf to blue wolf." I could feel the shock in the room. The information this book could hold!