Chapter 1: Missing Beta

Xander's POV

"How," my fists slammed down on the table, making my Gamma, Tess, flinch, "is it possible we still haven't found him?" I said, walking around the table and flattened out the map, leaning over it. "We're fucking wolves for Goddess' sake. How can we not find one of our own?"

"We're doing the best we can," Tess said calmly, crossing her arms.

"The best we can do is not good enough. He could be dead for all we know," I growled, marking the map for the sixth time.

"We'd know if he was dead. We'll find him," Tess encouraged, setting a hand on my shoulder.

I straightened and pinched the bridge of my nose. My beta had been missing for two days. Other packs were on alert, trying to help us but no one had found a goddamn thing.

"Xander," Tess said, tapping my shoulder.

"What?" I snapped, turning towards her. "Sorry," I added, shaking my head.

"What's going on with you?" She said, frowning.

"Kaden is missing, what do you think is going on with me?"

"That's not all it is," she said, tilting her head to the side. "Your asshole meter jumped about ten times higher a couple hours ago."

"I'm just worried," I defended, turning back to the map.

"Come on, it's me," she tried again.

"I don't fucking know, all right?" I said, hitting the table and knocking over a glass of water.

It spilled over the map and I quickly picked it up.

"Fuck!" I growled.

Tess stepped forward and took the map from me, giving me a concerned look.

"Stop looking at me like that," I snapped.

Her frown deepened and she opened her mouth to speak but my phone rang. We both jumped for it but she reached it first, holding up her finger and showing me the screen. Unknown. She set the phone down and accepted the call, putting it on speaker.

"Gamma Tess speaking," she said calmly, although her repeated tapping against her arm showed how anxious she was.

"I'm only interested in speaking to the Alpha," the voice responded. "You have five seconds to get him on the phone before his precious Beta," a whimper sounded through the phone.

Kaden. At least, I thought it was Kaden. It was hard to tell. I lunged forward.

"This is Alpha Xander, who the fuck is this?" I said angrily.

Tess set her hand on my arm and motioned with her hands for me to calm down. I sighed and ran my hand through my hair.

"You should be nicer, Alpha Xander. Your Beta's life does lie in my hands."

"What do you want?" I said through gritted teeth.

"It's very simple. I want you. I want you alone at the base of Knox valley in two hours or your Beta dies."

Tess shook her head fervently and reached for the phone but I stopped her movement.

"How do I know Kaden will be safe if I do this? For all I know you'll kill him the moment we hang up or he's already dead," I challenged.