Chapter 5: Outsmarted

Xander's POV:

I walked through the pack house door, and into the kitchen, slamming my fists down on the counter where Kaden was eating. He paused with a spoon of cereal halfway in his mouth. He looked at me with wide eyes and withdrew the spoon.

"Alpha," he greeted apprehensively.

"What did you say to her? Why does she like you?" I demanded.

Kaden frowned and shrugged. "It's probably just a joint trauma thing..." he trailed off, looking at me uncertainly.

"She asked about you right when she woke up. She accused me of keeping her prisoner and asked about your well-being," I hissed.

Kaden blinked slowly and set his spoon down, turning towards me with a frown. "Xander, you need to chill. You're probably freaking her out with how intense you're being."

"I was acting normal!" 

Kaden looked at me skeptically then continued eating his breakfast, giving me a halfhearted nod that showed how much he didn't believe me.

"You weren't there," I defended.

"No, but I'm here now and you need to chill," he said with a mouthful of cereal.

"He's right," Tess sang as she walked into the room. "And I was there," she winked.

"Fuck both of you," I growled, turning and walking away. "Training in ten minutes."

They both groaned in protest but I ignored them and went up into my room, changing my shorts and shoes before coming back down. Despite their protests, they were both dressed. I paused and glanced at Kaden.

"You had a rough few days. You can sit this one out," I offered.

He shook his head and smiled. "It'll be good for me. Give me something else to think about."

I nodded and went out the door with them following close behind. One of them must've alerted the others because they were all waiting at the training ground.

"Sparring first," I announced.

They paired off. Tess took a newbie and Kaden followed behind me, pausing and bracing

"Are you sure you're up for this?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

He nodded and I didn't quite believe him but didn't press the matter. Right behind him was the infirmary where Adira was sitting, feeling like I'd locked her up. I growled in frustration and we started.

We sparred for quite a while, then ran and did weight training. We ended with sparring again but Kaden sat that one out. He sat on the ground, back resting against the infirmary as he guzzled water. I walked over to him, kicking his foot before sitting next to him.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I asked, taking the water he offered.

"I don't know," he admitted, staring at the ground.

"Maybe that means you should," I pointed out.

He needed to get it out. Plus, listening to him would get my mind of my mate on the other side of the wall.

"I would understand if you demoted me," he said softly.

I jerked my head to him but he didn't look at me, just kept his head down. "The fuck are you talking about?" I demanded.

"I failed you," he frowned. "I should've been able to handle them and then... The only reason we got out of there was because of Addie. I failed both of you."