Chapter 6: Always a Bridesmaid

Addie's POV:

I walked quickly up to my apartment, ignoring the strange looks I got as I went. Once I was in the random truck driver's cab, I found out it was past midnight. Getting out of that forest took longer than I thought it would, I had no idea where I was going and my legs were still sore from being thrown around so much. Still, I made it and now I was walking up to my apartment wearing ridiculous clothes that were way too big for me and made me look like I escaped a mental institution. 

After all this maybe I did need to be in a mental institution.

I was halfway up the stairs before I remembered what Anna said. They might know where I live. They may have even made a copy of my key, for all I knew. I approached my door slowly but nothing seemed out of the ordinary. I set my backpack down and dug out my keys, unlocking the door and carefully pushing it open.

Nothing looked out of the ordinary. I stepped in quietly, carrying my backpack in just enough to set it inside. I shut the door and leaned back against it, listening. I heard nothing. I reached for the bat I kept by the door and went through the apartment, checking all the rooms and closets but it was empty. I sighed in relief and went back to the front door, locking it and putting a chair in front of it. It probably wouldn't do any good against the supernatural but it made me feel better.

I walked over to my bedroom and shut and locked that door, moving another chair in front of it before backing up to my bed and sitting down, staring at the door. Staying here wasn't a viable option, not when they knew where I lived. But it was the middle of the night. I would have to wait a few more hours. I laid back on my bed and pulled my weighted blanket over me, curling up and letting out all the emotions I kept in check over the last who knows how many hours.

I must've cried myself to sleep because I woke up a few hours later. I glanced at the clock and saw it was just after 9. The office would be open. I sat up and quickly took a shower, changing out of those awful clothes and into leggings and a sweatshirt because dammit, I didn't care how I looked today. Except the giant bruise on my face, I wasn't going to walk around with that so I covered it up with a lot of make up.

I went out to my backpack and got my phone out, plugging it in before I headed out the door. I hurried down the stairs and walked over to the office, fiddling with the ends of my sleeves as nervousness suddenly overtook me. I paused in the doorway and my landlord didn't notice, he was going over papers on his desk. I lightly knocked on the door, getting his attention.

"Addie," Greg said in surprise, surveying me with a frown. "You look like shit. Are you sick?"

"Thanks," I muttered, rolling my eyes. "Yeah I'm not feeling so great. Look, I need a huge favor."

"Again?" He grumbled.

"I'm sorry," I said sheepishly.

"Damn, Addie. You need one of those key finders."

"It's actually not the keys... I... I ran into a bit of trouble and," I paused, choking on the words.

"Someone hurt you?" He asked, rising from the desk.

"No, I mean... Kind of. Look, I just need a different place to stay and I know you own other apartments and I just wondered if maybe we could transfer my lease and I coul-"

"Say no more, Addie," he said, holding up his hand. "You want to get moved out today?"

"Yes," I breathed out, holding back the tears. "Thank you."

"It's the least I can do for you, honey. After the way you took care of my girl?" he said, shaking his head.

He referred to his daughter who died of cancer last year. It was a horrible time but he pulled through it, at least enough to keep going.

FatedOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara