Chapter 27: The Human Way

Xander's POV:

"Relax," I murmured next to her ear as we descended the steps. "I've got you."

I hated she was anxious but I loved the way it made her cling to me. Her fingers were laced between mine, holding on as if I was a lifeline. I could get used to that.

Tess let Mateo in so he was standing in the doorway when we reached the bottom. Luckily, Mateo was one of the less intimidating leaders in the area. It wasn't that he couldn't hold his own, it was that he didn't care to give off the air of intimidation a lot of other leaders liked to have. It made him more approachable and I was thankful he was the first one Addie was meeting tonight because Lynn was Mateo's opposite and a little harder to soften up.

"You probably don't remember me from the other night," Mateo said, stepping forward and smiling. "It's nice to formally meet you, Luna Adira. I'm Alpha Mateo," he introduced, offering a hand.

She released my hand to shake his and smiled. "Nice to meet you, too."

The moment her hand was out of his, it was back to mine. Yeah, I could get used to this.

"This is my Beta, Charlie," he said, nodding to the woman next to him. "Two of my Gammas, Louisa and Dominic."

He gestured behind him to the other people and Addie smiled and nodded to each of them.

"Nice to meet all of you. I can't thank you enough for helping Xander get to me that night. I wouldn't be here without you," she said.

Mateo's smile widened and he shook his head. "Your invitation into the pack was more than enough, Luna Adira. We were happy to help our friends," Mateo said, stepping forward and setting a hand on my shoulder. "Alpha Xander. Good to see you."

"You as well, Alpha Mateo," I nodded. "Please come in, we have food and drinks set up just through here," I said, waving them down the hallway.

"Alpha Mateo," Kaden greeted, coming around the corner.

He bowed his head and Mateo smiled, passing by the formalities and pulling him into a hug. Kaden had that effect on people.

"I'm hoping you saved some energy for a rematch tonight," Mateo said. "Glad to see you're doing well."

"I've been waiting for you to arrive for just that," Kaden grinned. "Charlie, Louisa, Dominic," he greeted, nodding. "Let's get some food first shall we? Our Luna made spaghetti and the sauce smells amazing."

They followed Kaden down the hall and I tugged Addie close, whispering in her ear. "That wasn't so bad, now was it?"

"I guess not," she breathed.

"Come on," I said, tugging on her hand. "Others will be arriving soon. We should meet them at the door."

Addie stayed by my side the whole night. I wasn't sure if it was because she was honoring what I asked or because she was too nervous to leave but I was fine with it, either way I got to touch her. All through the night I either had my hand on her back or her fingers laced with mine. I felt less stressed than I had the last several days.

Her spaghetti was a hit. Everyone raved about it and at first I wondered if it was because she was the Luna but then I tasted it and, no, it was just incredible. Mateo complimented her on it so much I felt myself unconsciously pulling her tighter to me. He caught on but thankfully understood and backed off, allowing me to breathe. Addie rolled her eyes at me then shrugged and muttered "wolf thing" under her breath.

I wasn't surprised when many of the guests got drunk. Werewolves, especially in my pack, tended to drink heavily. Lynn drank so much we set her and her Beta up in the guest room so she could sleep it off. The night was a success and I couldn't help but feel proud of my Luna. She was already so good at being a leader. She was perfect for me, for the pack.