Chapter 22: Secrets

Addie's POV:

My hand was grabbed roughly, catching me by surprise. 

"Don't walk away like that. You scared me," Xander growled angrily.

My eyes widened at his tone. He wasn't usually like that with me.

"Whoa, what the hell, dude?" Travis said, taking a step towards Xander.

The look I saw cross Xander's face at Travis's objection actually truly scared me. I hadn't seen him this pissed off since the night I was taken. I sucked in a breath and reached over, wrapping my arms around Xander's waist to try to get him to calm down.

"It's okay. He's just protective. This is Xander," I introduced. "Xander, Travis."

Travis narrowed his eyes at me and shook his head. I realized exactly how it looked. I normally hated the possessive type and he knew that. They locked in on each other, neither seeming very happy with the other.

"Xander, you remember me telling you about Travis, my best friend?" I tried.

His eyes snapped to mine and he released a low breath, his hand wrapping around my waist.

"Of course. Heard a lot about you," he finally said, his voice strained.

God, this wasn't good.

"Wish I could say the same," Travis answered, narrowing his eyes at Xander.

Great. Both of them being protective. I rolled my eyes and stepped between them, smiling at Travis. "Give us a minute," I said, giving him a reassuring smile before turning and pulling Xander with me.

It took effort to get him to budge but he finally did, his hand gripping my waist tightly. Tighter than usual. "What has gotten into you?" I hissed. "It's just Travis. You knew about him, didn't you? You were there that night."

"Yes, I was there that night. I was there when he made a move on you," Xander growled, sending a glare back at Travis.

"Oh my God, Xander," I groaned. "You can't be mad about that! We're not even together!"

He winced at my comment then turned us down a hallway and pressed me up against the wall.

"Please stop reminding me we're not together," he snapped. "I'm aware. Regardless, you are here with me. Not with him. You're here with me as your pretend boyfriend."

"Jesus, Xander. Get a grip," I said, rolling my eyes.

"Have you forgotten how easily the jealousy comes or should I remind you?" He inclined his head to one of the bridesmaids that sauntered down the hallway past us.

I groaned and shook my head. "No. But God, come on. He's my best friend and we decided not to sleep together anymore so can you just let it go and trust me?"

"It's not you I don't trust," he growled, stepping closer and wrapping his arms around me, burying his face into my neck.

I inhaled sharply and froze, my hands hovering over him as he nuzzled into my neck. "What are you doing?"

"Trying to calm down," he mumbled against my neck, inhaling deeply.

I sighed and wrapped my arms around him. It was weird but the last thing I needed was him getting in a fight with Travis. Okay, it was weird but I also was enjoying it way more than I should. Especially given his possessive display.

His breathing evened out and it was strange but I could almost feel him calming down.

"Xander," I said softly, running my hand through his hair.