Chapter 33: The Meeting

Xander's POV:

Sleeping with Addie was everything. At first it was hard to focus because she was laying on top of me and damn did I want her, but once we settled in, it was the best sleep I'd ever had. I never felt as rested as I did when I woke up and saw her already awake, looking up at me through those dark lashes. I could've had her right there but she had other plans.

I knew she could take charge and handle things well but it surprised me a little when the moment we woke up she went into action about the Rego and vampire issue. She wasn't kidding about wanting the meeting with everyone and so I set one up. The first meeting her and I would run together. I couldn't help but be excited because she actually wanted to take point on it.

She played off her confidence well but I could feel it in our bond how nervous she was. Which was why she was currently sitting in the office, reading up about being a Luna, about wolves and vampires, our laws, how our pack ran specifically, basically any books I had on the matter she was absorbing like a sponge. It was also because of that I came upstairs with a sandwich and some water because she'd been at it for hours with no break.

"Small break," I insisted, snatching the book she was reading and marking the spot before closing it. I set the sandwich in front of her and she sighed.

"Dude," she said, flattening her palms on the desk. "No wonder you have resting bitch face so bad."

"Pardon?" I asked, raising an eyebrow and sitting across from her.

"This," she said, gesturing to the mess on my desk before picking up the sandwich. "It's so much. I get why you're grumpy now."

"No, no, no," I said, shaking my head and holding up my hand. "I meant what the hell about the resting bitch face comment?"

"You have it," she shrugged, taking a bite of the sandwich.

"I do not," I scowled.

"Really helping your argument there, Xander," she said, a teasing smile playing on her lips.

"Watch it, love," I said, narrowing my eyes at her. "Do you feel ready for the meeting? We only have about..." I pulled my phone out and checked the time. "Twenty minutes."

"As I'll ever be," she shrugged. "There's still one subject we haven't touched on."

"What's that?" I asked, tilting my head to the side.

"You told me why Rego is pissed, but why are the vampires pissed?" She asked, taking another bite of the sandwich.

"Oh," I frowned. "I uh..." I ran my hand through my hair and shrugged. "It's mostly only certain clans that have a problem. The thing was that a lot of vampires in our area were attacking humans but they were doing it in a really shady way. Vampires aren't really allowed to attack humans anymore besides a few exceptions, also something I had to do with so I was already on their shit list and well..." I sighed. "We have blood banks for that shit. But they were purposely killing off prey populations so predators like wolves and bears would attack hikers since they got so hungry, then the vampires would come in to drain them afterwards so it would look like an animal attack when it really wasn't, at least, it wasn't the animals' fault. It took the vamps out of the spotlight from the Elders and lead clan in the state until I figured it out," I explained. "They were smart about it in some ways and not in others. No suspicion was being raised about vampires specifically but when I noticed the alarming amount of humans going missing, getting hurt, it wasn't hard to piece it together and catch them in the act."

"Oh shit, that was last year, right?" Addie asked, frowning. "When all those people went missing and they told people to stop hiking and closed a lot of trails?"