Chapter 14: Strange Connections

Addie's POV:

I walked around the bedroom, trying to familiarize myself with it so sleeping wouldn't be so weird later. There was art from famous photographers up on the wall and although they weren't all my favorite, it was sweet of Xander to think of it. The gesture left a smile on my face that only grew as I thought about how sweet he was with Mira. He seemed to have a mask in place most the times I'd seen him but he let it down with that little girl, talking to her so sweetly it had my ovaries getting way too excited. Broody and sweet was a dangerous combination, especially on someone that was already so stupidly attractive.

That was a dangerous path to let my mind go down so I ignored it and tried to focus elsewhere.

Hector took up a spot by the balcony where the sun was coming in through the glass doors, seeming to feel comfortable already. I decided unpacking would be wise since I wasn't sure how long I'd be here. I started going through my bags and emptying the contents into the drawers and closet, finding a place near the bed to stash my gun. My arm was really starting to hurt from all the strain so I left the last bag.

I looked over at a strange sound and found Hector was up and pawing at the balcony door. I walked over and opened it up for him, letting more afternoon light into the room. He trotted outside and checked out the area before turning in a circle and laying down again.

"You made me open the door just for you to sit again?" I said, crossing my arms.

He didn't respond, just closed his eyes and settled into his newfound warm spot. I walked over to the edge of the balcony, resting my hands on the wooden railing as I looked around. The area was very pretty and very green. I could see several houses and buildings from here. It was a lot bigger than I realized.

My eyes scanned the grounds before freezing at one spot. There were a group of people gathered, fighting. Not really fighting, I guessed it must be training or something. In that group was Xander. Shirtless Xander throwing and dodging punches with Kaden. My mouth went dry at the sight and I licked my lips.

My reaction to seeing him was immediate. My heart started racing, my palms got sweaty and now I was doing to him what he'd been doing to me. Staring. I couldn't help it. He was beautiful and God, was he built. I watched them until they took a break. His back was to me but he suddenly turned, his eyes landing directly on me. He gave me a wave before turning back to Kaden.

It didn't last long, he turned and looked up at me again as he made his way back to the house. I was about to go back inside so I could make myself stop gawking when I saw two girls approaching him. There was a strange tug at my chest when one of them set her hands on him. I felt an insanely strong urge to rip her away from him. The pang of jealousy caught me off guard and I shook my head. I shouldn't be jealous. He wasn't with me. What was wrong with me?

Still, to my relief he shrank away from her touch and must've said something to get her upset because she and the other one turned away looking very unhappy. I breathed out a sigh of relief though I wasn't sure why. I went back in my room, leaving the door open for Hector. I rubbed my arm that was really starting to ache. I'd overdone it today.

I heard footsteps coming up the stairs and saw the light change under my door. I wasn't sure how I knew but somehow I knew it was Xander. The shadows showed he stopped in front of my door. I stared at the light, wondering if he was going to knock but eventually he moved past my door. I heard the shower go on next door and realized his bathroom must be right next to my room.

Thinking about him in the shower was the last thing I needed to do so I braved opening my door. It was fairly quiet but I could hear talking downstairs. I slipped out the door and started down the stairs. As I turned a corner I heard voices so followed them into the kitchen.