Chapter 13: Plus One

Xander's POV:

I watched Addie tense as we approached the pack house and several pack-members were waiting outside. I knew they'd be anxious to meet their Luna but I was also very aware it was too much to ask of her right now.

I squeezed her hand, causing her to look over at me. "It's going to be fine," I assured her. "I'm right here. Just give me a minute, okay?"

She nodded and I released her hand, getting out of the car. I shut the door and crossed my arms before addressing the pack. "You're going to scare her. Give her space for now. We'll work something out but for the first few nights leave us be. Understood?"

Disappointment was evident on their faces but they obeyed and dispersed. I circled around to open Addie's door and she climbed out, clutching her blanket and Hector's leash. I set my hand on her back and led her up the stairs towards the front door of the pack house.

"Welcome to the pack house," I said.

She looked up at the house with wide eyes. "It's big," she said, her eyes drifting along then length of the covered porch that wrapped around the whole house.

"We do a lot of things here," I explained, opening the front door and waving her through.

She stepped inside, peering around cautiously as she did. I followed after her, placing my hand on her back again. It was nice to touch her again.

"Don't worry. The house doesn't bite," I teased, directing her to the left and into the kitchen. "Kitchen," I said, taking her through the archway leading into the living room. "Living room, and through that door," I said, gesturing to the left. "Is the dining room."

I took us out the living room to the back door, showing her the back porch before taking her down the hallway, pointing out the laundry room and the set of stairs leading down to the basement which we dubbed the gaming room. We ended up back near the front door where the stairs leading up to the bedrooms were. I was about to lead her up there when Gina opened the door, smiling sheepishly.

"Alpha, Luna," she addressed us. "I'm sorry to bother you. Mira had nightmares again. She's asking for you," she said, nodding to me. "Can she come in?"

Shit. I looked down at Addie who was looking between us curiously. Now wasn't the best time but Mira had been through so much, I couldn't let her down.

"Is it all right if we take a quick break from the tour?" I asked Addie.

"Of course," she said. "Is everything okay?"

"It's complicated," I muttered, running my hand through my hair. "I just got in a set of orphans less than two weeks ago, children whose parents were killed by rogues. The youngest is struggling."

"Oh," she frowned. "That's terrible. Um... What are rogues?"

"They're just wolves with no packs," I explained. "But they're not all violent like that. It's the violent ones that get the rest of them in trouble," I sighed in frustration. "Some of them didn't become rogues by choice but still carry the prejudice regardless. Anyway, she just needs a minute with me, do you mind?"

"Of course not," she said, shaking her head.

"Let her in," I nodded to Gina.

Gina stepped back, leaving the door open. It didn't take long to hear the pitter-patter of Mira's feet as she came up on the porch. She was only six so she hadn't learned how to be silent yet. She peeked around the doorway, her blonde curls falling in her face.

"Mira," I addressed, crouching down.

"Alpha," she said, clutching a teddy bear to her chest.

"You had nightmares again?" I asked.