Chapter 41: The Fight

Xander's POV:

I was doing a final check to make sure anyone vulnerable was in the safe-house when the alert came in from Leila.

Vamps approaching from the East.

A second later, another link from Tess.

Wolves approaching from the West.

I stiffened and looked back to the pack-house. I could run in and tell Addie but Gina was closer and I needed to get to the fight to hopefully make sure it never got to Addie.

Everyone on alert. Man your posts, I linked before shifting and taking off to the West. If wolves were showing up in the West, that's where Rego would be and I was ready to end this shit with him once and for all. Gina, tell Addie what's going on and stay close to her, I linked Gina.

Yes, Alpha, she answered quickly.

I tried to keep my heart from racing too much. I had to trust my pack. I had to trust they would be safe, that they would keep Addie safe. It was much easier in theory than in practice.

As I was running, Kaden came up in his wolf form alongside me but I knew Tess, she'd be heading towards the vamps knowing I would be focused on Rego. This was where growing up and training together all our lives was paying off, when we knew each other well enough to not have to communicate every single move.

We've got this, Kaden linked. I could practically see his care-free grin just from the sound of his voice in my head.

Our paws beat against the ground so hard it almost sounded like drums before a battle. I opened myself up to my pack as much as I could. If anyone got hurt, I wanted to know so I could be there. The closer we got to the Western border, the louder the growls became. The stronger the scent became. Not just of wolves that didn't belong here, but of blood.

It had already started.

Kaden and I moved into a weak spot and split off, each taking one side and flanking the group of wolves snapping and growling at my pack. We moved in and I sunk my teeth into one's neck, ripping out the jugular and moving to the next. The second one was ready and getting ahold of its neck wasn't as easy. We tumbled to the ground and rolled in the dirt but I gained the advantage of sunk my claws into its chest. Its head went back as it released a pained howl and I sunk my teeth into the exposed neck until the heart stopped beating.

It didn't matter I'd had to do this more times than I preferred, I still didn't enjoy the killing.

I moved onto the next wolf but my mind kept getting distracted by the fact I hadn't smelled Rego at all yet. This was definitely his pack but his personal scent was nowhere to be found. The fucking coward.

Has anyone scented Rego? I linked to my pack.

I received several no's and growled in frustration. Not knowing where he was did little to put my mind at ease when I didn't have Addie as close to me as I hoped I would.

Are you and Addie okay? I checked with Gina.

We're good, Gina answered. More than good. Rykan is staying close by and following Addie's lead.

I couldn't help but wonder what in the hell Rykan wanted from Addie but I had more important things to be focusing on. More of Rego's pack crossed our border and were met with either silver bullets or claws and teeth. The stench of blood was becoming so thick it was hard to pull out any other scents and I started to wonder if that was Rego's plan, to not come in until he thought I wouldn't be able to identify him.