Chapter 11: Bringing Her Home

Xander's POV:

I don't like how close they're getting to her, I sent in the mindlink, watching as Addie made her way down the street, casting glances behind her but failing to notice the one across the street and coming right her way.

We won't let them hurt her, Alpha. They won't do anything in broad daylight, Gina responded.

My jaw clenched and I ran my fingers through my hair as they got closer to her. My pack was already surrounding her though she wouldn't recognize them. Two behind her. Two in front of her. One across the street. One walking next to her.

The dog she had started growling again and it was then she seemed to notice the one in front of her and the one across the street. She froze up and I pushed off the wall. She felt trapped and I should be the one helping her. She glanced around and her eyes closed.

A strange sensation hit me. It was her. Was she trying to talk to me? Shit, I wish I understood how it worked with humans. But that feeling was real. I could tell she was scared but in that moment it was like she was telling me instead of me just feeling it. Her eyes opened and she glanced around, biting down on her lip.

Fuck it. I wasn't going to leave my mate there scared.

I'm coming in, I informed them before jogging across the street, cutting off the vampire behind her. I made eye contact with him and he halted, narrowing his eyes.

Xander you shouldn't interfere, Tess scolded

I rolled my eyes, not bothering to respond. I strode over to Addie and she turned in time to see me coming. My heart skipped a beat when a look of relief crossed her eyes once she saw me. I couldn't help the smile despite our situation. I didn't slow down when I reached her, just placed my hand on her back and lead her down the street.

"There's one right there," she whispered, stepping closer to me.

"It's all right. They're outnumbered," I answered, wrapping my arm around her shoulders and pulling her closer to me as we walked past the vampire, my pack falling into a line to block him from even looking at her.

"You knew," she realized. "You knew they were following me before I tried to talk to you."

"You did try to talk to me?" I asked, looking down at her.

Her cheeks turned pink and she nodded, averting her eyes.

"Don't be embarrassed. You can call on me anytime," I said, my hand tightening on her shoulder.

"You've been following me?" She asked, looking up at me.

"Yes," I admitted.

"Were you at the club last night?"

"Yes. I tried to talk to you but we were..." I wrinkled my nose thinking of her 'friend'. "Interrupted. Twice."

She nodded but didn't respond. I turned us down a street and Gina came up next to me.

"Stick to the plan. We're going to break off," I told her.

She nodded and fell back. Addie turned, watching Gina fall behind and frown.

"She's with you?" Addie asked.

"Yes."

"You had them around me before I called you," she realized.

"I wasn't going to risk anything," I answered, pulling her down another side street.

She stayed quiet after that and we walked down to a park, sitting on a bench. I kept my arm around her shoulders because as long as she wasn't protesting, I craved the contact. Especially now. Especially with the vamps so close.