Chapter 4

Edward was infuriated to say the least. When Esme and Alice looked up from their binge watching, all they saw was a blur as Edward charged from the kitchen, upstairs and within three seconds, charged back down, a handful of papers in his hand which he had just gotten from the printer. They heard him slam his laptop closed before shooting out the backdoor to who knows where.

When Edward finally stopped running, it was on a small ridge overlooking the river that separated the werewolf territory from the vampire territory. It wasn't long before his nostrils were filled with the stench of werewolf.

"What are you doing here?" an all too familiar voice inquired.

Edward was surprised, to say the least when the voice didn't hold as much venom as it would have if he had been standing there two years earlier. Things had changed since he had broken up with Bella. Honestly, Jacob began to agree with Edward in many respects. When Bella had begun to change, and not for the better, Jacob had pointed out to Edward that he didn't know what happened to Bella but she changed. She had used to be such a nice girl but now, neither the vampire nor the dog recognized her.

"I have a problem," Edward remarked, turning to the side to see Jacob sitting on a rock that was in the middle of the river.

It was a convenient spot to talk since it allowed the tow to talk without having to yell over the sound of the river. Of course, they didn't tell Sam, Carlisle or anyone about it. Edward walked vampire speed to the bank and walked over the stones till he was standing on the rock about five feet in front of Jacob. He sat down, not crosslegged like Jacob, but let his feet plunge into the ice cold water. He didn't even feel the cold.

"What's the deal? Bella again?" Jacob inquired. "She is constantly calling and saying that you wont talk to her."

"Why did you stop talking to her?" Edward inquired. "I thought that the moment I was out of the way, you would pounce on Bella."

Jacob snorted, "She's not a hunk of meat. Besides, you saw something in Bella that I didn't. I was letting first impressions stick with me too much. I had met Bella when I was a kid and too young to know any better. I thought she would stay the same sweet, kind, thoughtful, pure little girl she had always been but you discovered the truth... that she was turning into like all those other human girls."

When Edward didn't reply, agree or even grunt in response, Jacob peered at the vampire. Needless to say, the two of them were not friends but they confided in each other. It was strange but they had realized that it helped to talk about their problems and thoughts to someone who wasn't their kin... for it was like someone who wasn't their pack understood them better. If Jacob ever tried to talk about his frustration with Bella to any of the other werewolves, they would tell him to just go imprint on someone to get Bella out of his mind. Edward didn't do that... he just listened. And Vice Versa.

"What's on your mind?" the dog inquired. "I'm not telepathic like you but I can sense when there is something going on in that blood sucker brain of yours."

"It's about... a girl," Edward sighed.

Jacob's dark eyebrows shot up and he planted a smug expression on his face, "Really? Dont tell me. Rose?"

"She's taken. And Ew."

Jacob laughed, "Alice?"

"She's like a kid."

"Bella's friend Jessica?"

Edward was about to lose his patience with the dog so he just spat it out, "Kamber Vicasi."

Jacob froze where he was and if Edward had never been surprised about anything Jacob did, this was the first time. The werewolf almost fell off the stone he was sitting on and had to grab the rock to steady himself. Edward had barely hissed out the name but it wasn't Edward's tone that had shocked the young man, both of them knew that for sure.

"Do.... do you know her?" Jacob asked.

"No not really," Edward replied. "She's in some of my classes... and I've seen her around school... we haven't been introduced though."

When there was no reply from Jacob, Edward looked up and his eyes widened. The color had drained from Jacob's dark face to the point where he almost looked naturally fair skinned. His black eyes were as round as saucers and his jaw was almost touching the rock he was sitting on.

"Wait..." Edward whizzed, suddenly reading Jacob's mind, "You know her?"

Edward decided that Jacob would tell him better if he got out of his thoughts so he stopped reading Jacob's mind and let the dog explain.

"I met her.... and her two older brothers....years ago...." Jacob whispered. "I became real close with the three of them...."

"What two brothers are you talking about?" Edward asked. "She has several."

"Vince and Glynn," Jacob replied, "Dark haired. Look really similar to their dad."

Edward nodded, "Yeah I remember them. They're also in my classes. But that's the least of my problems."

"Why do you need my help then?" Jacob asked, trying to erase the unease on his face.

"Their mother.... is related to Sam isnt she?"

"huh?"

"Charity Uley!" Edward hissed.

Jacob's eyes widened and his mouth opened more if that was possible, "Charity is alive? But Sam said she died forty years ago.... in a car crash."

Edward narrowed his eyebrows, "Did he say how old she was when she died?"

"Yea.... in her early twenties.... why?"

Edward's eyes widened and Jacob felt his heart race. If it was enough to worry or surprise a vampire, it was bad.

"But... Hamilton Vicasi couldn't be more than thirty-five to forty," Edward pointed out. "And his wife.... Charity.... is in her thirties."

Jacob frowned, "That isnt possible."

"Why not?" Edward asked. "Couldn't she be a werewolf? That would explain how she lived longer, considering she's Sam's daughter."

"She's not Sam's daughter," Jacob replied. "She is his sister. Besides that, werewolves cannot pass down their abilities to their offspring."

"So.... if she is Sam's sister, all the more possibility that she could be a werewolf." Edward remarked, getting impatient.

"I'm not denying that she is a werewolf," Jacob pointed out. "Because she is....but...."

"But what?" Edward snapped.

Jacob lifted his eyes and Edward immediately read his mind. What he heard wasn't what he expected....and it shocked him to no end.

'Sam banished her before the accident because she had fallen in love with a certain David Vicasi.'