Chapter 16

For once in her life, Kamber hated the fact that she had a beating heart. She knew that with Edward's enhanced hearing, he could easily hear her heartbeat which was so loud that Kamber was sure a person across the room could hear it. Edward had slowly bowed his head more so that his forehead was resting on Kamber's shoulder. He hadn't lifted his head to look at her and was just standing there, his arms around her waist and his nose buried in her neck, inhaling her scent.

"b.... but I thought you said I would m.... meet her tonight...." Kamber whispered, finding herself blushing beyond comprehension.

Edward chuckled and his breath against her neck made her flush even more, "I was hoping you would guess."

Kamber gently but firmly pushed him away, "Like I would! The way you were going about it sounded like you were telling me as a friend!"
A soft smile crossed Edward's face, "I would never do that. Why would I tell you as a friend when I could live without a friend but living without you would be like hell?"

Kamber gasped softly at the intensity in Edward's eyes. His bright amber eyes seemed to darken slightly but Kamber knew it wasn't from hunger.

Before Kamber could even take this into consideration, Edward had leant forward again but this time he pressed his forehead against Kamber's. He took in a deep breath and let it out shakily. Kamber felt her face heat up at their close proximity and instinctively placed her hands-on Edward's chest but she froze... he was shaking!

Slowly Kamber pushed him away but kept her hands on his chest, looking up at him, startled. Edward looked like a person who had just woken up from sleep. His eyes were blurry and half open, he was breathing shakily.

"Edward?"

Slowly, Edward glided his hand across Kamber's cheek till it was cupped at the crook of her neck. Gradually he pulled her head up to look at him as he dipped his head towards hers.

'I'm dreaming right?' Kamber thought to herself. 'This is too perfect to be real. Is he going to kiss me? It's not like I have anything against him kissing me but... is this even real? Will I wake up the moment I believe it?'

Kamber was snapped out of her thoughts by a pair of soft, ice cold lips that pressed against hers. For a moment, she stared wide eyed at Edward who was cupping her face in both hands, eyes closed and his body shaking. Why was he shaking? Was he nervous.... Upset.... Anxious... or happy?

Edward's lips slowly left hers but just by a hair. His amber eyes fluttered open to look at Kamber a moment, blue meeting gold. 'Oh, what the heck! Who cares if this isn't real!?' Kamber thought to herself.

Reaching up, she gripped Edward's shoulders as Edward brought his lips back down onto hers, a little stronger this time. Kamber felt her knees go weak when Edward snaked a hand around her waist and pulled her flush against him. She could feel his rock-hard chest beneath her hands and his hair felt like down.

When the two pulled apart to give Kamber a chance to breathe (Edward didn't need to but he knew she was partially mortal), Kamber was flushed and her eyes glossy just like Edward's had been a moment ago.

Edward took a sharp intake of breath at the sight before him and would have kissed her again if a familiar, annoying voice hadn't come into his hearing. Ugh that woman!

"Edward's here too!?"

Rolling his eyes mentally, Edward kept one arm around Kamber's waist but took her hand with his other, so it looked like they were dancing. Kamber seemed slightly puzzled by his change in mood but soon realized the source. Bella had appeared and was trotting over to them in heels that were so high that it was a miracle she hadn't fallen over. She wore a skirt that barely covered her rear and her lacy blouse that barely covered half her stomach was almost see-through and Kamber could clearly make out her lacy black bra beneath it.