Chapter 7

"They are what!?" Rose whisper hissed a little too loud.

"SHHHHHH!!!" Jasper and Emmett both hissed at her across the cafeteria table that they occupied.

"They're hybrids," Edward replied, "Part vampire, part werewolf. Their mother is a werewolf and their father is a vampire. That is why I could read their mother's mind."

"But why couldn't you read Mr. Vicasi's or any of the kids?" Alice insisted.

Edward shrugged, "Must be part of Mr. Vicasi's vampire abilities..."

"A shield," Emmett whispered, "He must be a shield. That is why you cannot read his mind and that is how you cannot read any of the kids. He must have handed it down to them."
Edward shrugged, "But it's strange...I cannot hear their thoughts, but I hear.... Nature instead of silence."

"Hm," Jasper remarked placing his chin on his palm, "Well at least that clears up why their blood isn't enticing. But what I don't understand is why they don't smell like werewolves. Gosh, even their mom doesn't."
"That is something I cannot think of," Edward replied.

He felt a jabbing pain on his lower ankle and realized that it came from Alice's heel which she had jabbed into his leg to get his attention. He didn't even have to turn around to know that the Vicasi teens had entered the cafeteria. He could hear their soft singing minds (that he couldn't read) but he couldn't smell Kamber's alluring scent.

Glancing over his shoulder he spied the teens but Kamber was absent. Frowning, he tried to think of where she could be. Maybe she was just a bit behind.

"Maybe we should invite them over sometime," Rose whispered.
All at once she had all her sibling's attention and she gave them puzzled looks, "What?"
"You hate werewolves, yet you want them to come over for a visit?" Jasper pointed out.

Rose shrugged, "They're part vampire, too right? Besides, they seem like really interesting people."

"Edward would love that," Emmett whispered to Jasper, too quietly for Edward to hear but he read his brother's mind.

"I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that," Edward hissed but he felt his usually sheet white face go slightly pink.

Edward was snapped out of his thoughts by the strong smell of jasmine and fresh forest. Kamber came bounding into the cafeteria as light as a feather. She bounded over to the table where her siblings sat and squashed between Vince and Glynn, barely making a sound on the floor with her feet.

"Guess what!?" Kamber whispered, wrapping an arm around each of her brothers' necks and nearly choking them to death. "Mom just texted. She said that we have to go somewhere later today."

"Don't tell me it's the fresh market again," Zayne groaned. "Eustace and Nevaeh need to stop being so picky about what meat they like."
Kamber chuckled lightly and shook her head, "She didn't give the particulars, but I doubt it's that."
"Maybe we'll visit Jacob," Glynn mused, "I bet Antigone would loooooove that!"
"Shut up!" Antigone hissed, slapping her brother's arm but Glynn just grinned mischievously at her.

The girl burned up a bright pink which only brought smirks onto the rest of her siblings' faces.

"So," Rose remarked, "They know the Blacks."
"There is nothing wrong with that," Jasper pointed out. "After all they are kind of family to the dogs considering who their mother is."

"I wonder if Sam knows about this," Edward remarked aloud, "After all, Mrs. Vicasi was kind of banished because of her love for Mr. Vicasi..."

Alice suddenly leant forward, "A forbidden love!? You didn't tell us that part Edward!"

Edward sighed and rolled his eyes at his sister's fangirling. He was about to tell her to not talk to loud when a soft voice spoke from behind him and Edward almost flew out of his seat.

"Hey there!"

Edward tried to not snap around too fast when he recognized the voice of Kamber Vicasi who had appeared behind his chair. She smiled at him and the rest of the Cullens.

"Mind if I sit with you? My brothers are getting a little rowdy."

Sure enough, Zayne and Glynn had started a food fight which luckily didn't make too much of a mess, but it definitely made a scene. Alice let out a bright chirp and scooted to the side so that there was room between her and Rose. Kamber sat down and set her food tray on the table. There was no meat on her tray. She had a king salad with no dressing, an apple, a few carrots and a glass of milk.

"So, Alice," Kamber remarked after a moment, "I heard that you love Anime."
Alice almost jumped out of her seat before grabbing Kamber's arm and hugging it, "I love it! Do you like it too!?"

Kamber smiled, "I kinda have to like it, what with having little sisters who watch it day and night."
Alice was all over the girl the rest of lunch while Rose was trying to save Kamber from possibly being hugged to death. Jasper and Emmett were grinning the whole time, rather amused by Alice's enthusiasm while Edward sat silently, his amber eyes fixed on Kamber who for the whole time was smiling even though Alice was squeezing the life out of her. It was like the girl was shining.